Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

is this open?

skeeter

at our 3 gun match today a shooter came to the line with a scope on top of the gun. and a flash light under attached to the handguard. i joked that, that was 2 optics and he'd have to shoot open. which lead to the discussion was it open? to me it's like a laser, on a dark cloudy day. you could use the light to help aim, so 2 optics open. at our matchs no big deal but if you showed up at the nationals what would happen?

More matches are doing dark stages that almost require attaching a flash light to your gun. Mystery Mountain had one last year, the 3 gun match we put on in Waco had one too....at either of these a flash light was not an open class feature. Having a flashlight on your gun or the ability to mount one is just a practical feature to me, all of my several CAV-15s, shotguns, and pistols have provisions for mounting a light.

as for USPSA.....no idea what their rules are.

You can't look through an Armson OEG either. Or an Aimpoint M2 or ACOG with the front lens closed off. But all of those can effectively be used as sights.

Reading the current USPSA rules, I think it comes down to whether or not the device under question is an "aiming device" (as it clearly has lenses AND electronics, 5.1.3.2). I think the answer ought to be "no" for a flashlight.

Just like how an honest to goodness sound suppressor on an otherwise "Tactical" should not punt it into open, I don't think devices used as illuminators ought to be considered a 2nd optic by anyone reasonable.

-z

You can't look through an Armson OEG either. Or an Aimpoint M2 or ACOG with the front lens closed off. But all of those can effectively be used as sights.

You can't look through an Leupold Vari-X III 2.5 x10 with the front lens closed off but there is not a soul on the planet that would say it was not an optic.

You can't look through an Armson OEG either.  Or an Aimpoint M2 or ACOG with the front lens closed off.  But all of those can effectively be used as sights.

You can't look through an Leupold Vari-X III 2.5 x10 with the front lens closed off but there is not a soul on the planet that would say it was not an optic.

Nor can you look through a laser, but again, it's an electronic / optical sight. How de-focused does a flashlight need to be to not be useful as a sight?

Tracers aren't allowed in USPSA or IPSC matches.  Rule 5.5.4

just kidding man, hence the :lol: face.

We had someone shoot one by accident (forgot they had it in their mag) in Waco last month...it was pretty funny watching it hit the steel plate 100 yards away and spin to the ground still burning for a few seconds. With as much as it had rained, there wasn't any fire danger.

Just like how an honest to goodness sound suppressor on an otherwise "Tactical" should not punt it into open...

At the 3GN Nationals in Reno, the Army team had a member get put into open class because his rifle had a silencer.

people using suppressors should get the "courteous shooter" award for caring about their hearing and everyone elses. B)

If anything they make the rifle more difficult to shoot because of added length, and once they get hot the mirage off of them can be quite large through your sight picture.

i still say it's an aiming device. if you turn it on and it lights the target you can shoot with it. just like a laser. sure you might not ever get a chance to use it but that doesn't mean it's not there.

if i've got a long range scope and an aimpoint. and all the targets are up close and i don't use the scope i'm still open.

this is just for fun and i don't care if you have a flashlight on your gun. i just want to know what the letter of the rule says.

I understand how current rules apply to 'cans.

My point was that IMO nobody should be punted into Open for an otherwise tactical rifle for having an honest to goodness 'can. Same for putting a flashlight or a AN/PEQ-2 on your rifle. Call it the "using real world equipment" clause.

-z

I don't think you can run your pistola with an attached flashlight and stay in limited. The light can be construed as an external weight.

If you carry that rule over to rifle... that flashlight can be a no-no.

There are so many ways to look at things that two opposing views can be "reasonable".

With USPSA it's a toss up. With SMM3G it should be OK (otherwise all those people who taped on flashlights on the dark stage should have been bumped to open).

If it was up to me it would be legal. But for Limited/Tactical it has to stay attached to the rifle the whole match. ... that's of course if it was up to me. :P

Ok so help me out as I am new to 3 gunning. What class would I be in shooting a DPMS 16" bull barrel with a 3x9 on top and a red dot mounted on the side...with a Remington 870 in 12 ga. and a Springfield XD in 9mm? :unsure:

In a USPSA 3-Gun "tournament," you would be:

Open Rifle

Limited Shotgun (assuming no ports, comp, or optics)

Limited, Limited10, or Production Pistol depending on your other equipment and how many rounds you wish you load

Your aggregate division for the tournament would be Open.

As an earlier message said, if you removed one optic from the rifle, you'd go to Tactical Rifle and Tactical Aggregate.