Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 Major in IPSC

DanTroxel

Help! I was told a few months ago that a load of 4.0 of titegroup with a 200 grain bullet - lead, semi wadcutter, will produce the major category with no problem. Today, I was told that it would be no where near major. My only access to a chronograph will be at major competitions. Until then I might be a cheater! My gun is a loaded Springfield shooting limited 10. Thanks.

A 200gr. cast SWC over 4.6grs. of Titegroup didn't make major in my 5" barrel. It would always have a few under 825fps in mixed brass strings. If you mix brass don't forget to factor in enough extra velocity to always make major.

I understand your lack of a chrono. These things are a real pain to use; everyone knows that its usually an inconvenience to everybody else at the outdoor range to set one up and thats after you find an outdoor club range that ALLOWS you to use a chrono. Most of us who have access to the club's outdoor range find that this time of year, they are all closed for the winter. Even when open, its a long drive to the range plus there is the $10 per hour range fee you have to pay most places. That leaves only indoor ranges & besides the problem of a lack of any cease fire for set up & hourly cost, there is the lighting problem.

My point? Its not as simple as paying $99.

Of course I know a lot of be.com forum members just go out in the back yard to shoot. Must be nice. Not everyone lives out in the countryside where that is still possible. More than a few of us live in cities (plenty of people do these days) and we are limited to indoor ranges in areas with 4 actual seasons where shooting is a summertime activity. Chronographing becomes nearly impossible if you live in the wrong place.

My solution? I usually get a few friends together & dedicate the time to setting up the overhead lights on the rare occasions when the indoor range is closed & the owner allows it. We all bring the loads & guns to be tested & get the chronographing out of the way at one time. Its still a huge hassle, but less so in a group setting.

Very best regards from inside the traffic-choked Washington D.C. beltway.

D.

My solution? I usually get a few friends together & dedicate the time to setting up the overhead lights on the rare occasions when the indoor range is closed & the owner allows it.

I use the infrared panels for the CED Millennium. Easy and fast to set up - no longer or more difficult than the normal skyscreens, actually - and they'll work without fail indoors.

You can also get a big halogen light and aim it at the ceiling in an indoor range to get enough light to chrono by.

The problem I've had is usually the range operators that don't want you or anything of yours past the firing line. That requires either a very friendly range or some extra $ to the operator to clear the line for you.

I'm surprised that indoor ranges don't have in-house chronos. With suitable armor (built into a rolling steel table, say), it would be a good extra-income item.

Clubs should also set up a chrono at local matches occasionally as well.

Shred, a down-range chrono on an indoor range? I don't want to be accused of being an IPSC snob or anything, but I've been in lots of indoor ranges, and I've never seen one that wasn't brand new, that didn't have bullet impacts scary-close to the firing line. What kind of armor are you going to have, to protect your chronograph from the guy with his 454 Casull and flinch?

I'll bet anyone who has tried it found the chrono lasted a week, at most. Heck, how many chronos have we all shot? (I just nicked my fourth last month.)

Patrick,

Are you thinking "down range" as in...down by the targets?

I am thinking that shred is talking about an up-close chrono (10ft), that could be moved in and out of the range quickly?

Even that would have to be heavily armoured and regulated.

And what armor do you suggest, at ten feet, to withstand the .454 Casull/flinch combo? No, every indoor range operator I've ever talked to is resigned to the fact that anything forward of the booth itself will get shot. Repeatedly. How many of us have been on police indoor ranges, and seen dings in the floor four feet forward of the line? If the God of The Earth can do that, what hope is there for the rest of us?

Anyway, have you solved the original problem Dan? Gotten a load that makes Major?