Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lower than Recommended Mins

Craig N

I'm shooting 40 minor for Production and SSP in a Glock 35/KKM barrel. Right now my load of 2.8 gns Clays under 180 Lead cast bullet gives me 144 PF. I get a SD of 8 with an Average 10 shot string of 805 fps.

I am wanting to test going lower say maybe .3 grains but I am hesitant to go lower than the mins in the published data. I know my Lee doesn't throw a constant charge (.2 grains ish) all the time but it usually doesn't go lower than 2.7 when I weigh random throws. I'd like to get around 130 PFs just to see what it does. And it will give me something to work on and test around this winter.

If you want to stick with Clays and shoot Production then I would recommend you switching to 200 grain bullets. I was driving my M&P at about 130 PF with Clays and Zero and/or MG 200 grain bullets. I've also used VV N-320 and Bullseye powder, and both have worked fine with the heavier bullet as well.

Load up about 10 - weighing each charge - at 2.6Gr Clays and see what you get. As long as you have enough powder to get the bullet out of the barrel you should be fine. At the other end of the spectrum, a lot of us load above the max shown for Clays with no problems.

With that low of a charge you may have powder bridging, meaning you wont get a full powder dump and a lot of poofers....

It does happen. If you want a lower charge try TItegroup or VV 310.

DougC

That's what I was thinking about is the bridging and other stuff. I don't have any issues with it now. Ya know how you just get the bug to tinker around with stuff. I just didn't wanna tinker where I shouldn't and get hurt!

I need to run my loads over someone else's chrono and see if mine is reading correctly or if it reads high.

Edited by Craig N

As a caution, loading below minimum spec from a powder manufacturer can lead to problems like detonation in some calibers. There are minimums for a reason, and some powders get squirrely if pressure is less than expected. They will also shoot a lot dirtier and have incomplete ignition in some instances which by itself is not that dangerous, but may put you under minor in certain weather conditions or with the few rounds tested if such is the case. As Jimzim mentioned going to a heavier bullet may be a solution. Few powder measures will accurately meter such small amounts of powder as you are considering without modifications.