Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New swager for 550 and 650

Has anyone used one of these? Looks great but I'd like to get any feedback from someone who used it on the 550 or the one for sale on the 650. Thanks
http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-S-Custom-primer-pocket-swager-uniformer-for-Dillon-RL550-223-308-9mm-45-/321276290617?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4acd8f2639

Thanks. The post is on the 650. Has anyone tried the 550 unit?

Definitely new - I think it just came out. Buy one and give it a shot.

I've been using the 650 version and it works great.

Edited by anm2_man

I've got one for the 650 along with one of the GS shell plates, which is really a mandatory pairing. It works well but I'm going back to my superswager, which seems to work a little better for the relatively low volume of .223 I load. If anyone is interested in buying my very low mileage setup, pm me.

I have one in a 550, used the small swage for 5.7x28 cases and it works well.

Tried the large swage for the LC 308 cases and not so good. Tried to hand prime with the Lee Auto Prime and was 90% no go.

Then again tried the Super Swage 600 and didn't have much luck either. Ended up reaming them out. YMMV

Hey, it's patent pending...how bad could it be?

My guess is, Dillon will say it voids the press warranty.

"Patent pending" is meaningless. It could mean they filed a provisional patent and are simply re-filing every year to state "patent pending" with no intention of filing a full utility patent. I'm not saying that's what this particular person is doing, but don't be too impressed with that phrase.

Dillon has already stated it will void the warranty. ;)

Edited by The Law

Hey, it's patent pending...how bad could it be?

My guess is, Dillon will say it voids the press warranty.

"Patent pending" is meaningless. It could mean they filed a provisional patent and are simply re-filing every year to state "patent pending" with no intention of filing a full utility patent. I'm not saying that's what this particular person is doing, but don't be too impressed with that phrase.

Dillon has already stated it will void the warranty. ;)

I was kidding. Based on the number of typos in the ebay listing, I'd be surprised if they figured out how to file for a patent.

Has anyone used one of these? Looks great but I'd like to get any feedback from someone who used it on the 550 or the one for sale on the 650. Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-S-Custom-primer-pocket-swager-uniformer-for-Dillon-RL550-223-308-9mm-45-/321276290617?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4acd8f2639

Installed mine on a 550. Very easy. No adj except to align the swager where it comes through the hole in the plate.

LC brass once fired. CCI and REM primers. 25 each. Did not roll over the crimp like my Dillon swager. It took a lot of handle pressure to get any roll over.

End result was I ruined most of the 50 primers. They did seat but they all went into the practice box because most of them had mash marks on them because of the pressure required to seat them.

I then screwed the shell plate down so it bottomed out thinking that would make the swager put more of a roll over on each case.

Nope, same thing. More practice rds.

The swager now sits on my bench with a no refund policy.

No thanks. I'll stick with my Super Swage 600. The 550 and 650 were not designed for swaging on-press and long term use may lead to issues. Also, I wouldn't blame Dillon at all if they figured out you were using it and voided your warranty. Swaging puts a lot more pressure on the press parts than priming.