Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2014 Benelli/ Rockcastle Shotgun Championship

My bad. This probably changed in this year rulebook edition...

Same 75 mm in the 2014. It think it was 72mm before they outlawed chest rigs.

Edited by MarkCO

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All ammo holders for all divisions must comply with 50mm from the body rule.

Its 75mm from the body for shotgun caddies. most caddies should be able to comply to this.

They moved it out to 75 from 50, to accommodate double stack caddies like the AP custom 4x4.

As long as you don't have thick double belts, then a techlock, then a spacer etc etc, pretty much all caddies should be able to hold the shells within 75mm.

As far as "all the usual deuce and quad caddies..." most do not pass IPSC rules, sorry. That is why there is an "Outlaw" division.

I don't think there is an issue with any of them as long as they are worn at the waist level.

Doesn't necessarily need to be on a belt through loops either.

The Chameleon load 2 belt doesn't attach to or pass through any loops, but as long as its at waist level its good to go.

Load 2/4 systems are good as long as they are not more than 2 shells end to end.

When the load 2 method started becoming popular over seas, they were using a chest plate with vertical rows of shells, 4-6 shells long.

Someone made a comment that people looked like suicide bombers and then stacking shells in that manner was deemed illegal.

Edit: Mark beat me to it.

Edited by sarpau

Before I agreed to run this match, I went and measured all of the current brands of caddies, few of them pass as typically worn by 3Gun competitors. That is the reason I have included an "Outlaw" division.

As the Match Director, I will not get into the debate of whose caddies do and do not comply with IPSC rules. Just be aware that you will be checked and if your gear does not pass in an IPSC Division, you will have the option to adjust your gear and try again, or shoot in Outlaw.

The rules do say belt BTW...

5.2.3 Unless otherwise specified in the written stage briefing the competitor’s equipment belt carrying cartridges (in caddies, loops, clips, bags or pouches) and/or detachable magazines and/or speed loaders must be worn at waist level. “Chest-rigs”, bandoliers and similar carriers are expressly prohibited. Additional ammunition carriers mounted on forearms are permitted provided that cartridges are carried individually in loops or clips.
Edited by MarkCO

I have had a few people ask me about ROing. Yes, we need ROs...

Brian Ray has agreed to help me organize the RO staff since he is local and has worked with the folks who are close to the Rock.

We will get the needed info out to Brian so that he can get a group together for us.

So this is IPSC rules with an outlaw division.

There be an outlaw pump, standard, etc? For each equipment type?

Yes.

No. The Outlaw division will follow standard Tac-Ops division rules.

So an open shooter with a mag fed gun is limited to 10 round mags? There is a reason IPSC shotgun is not popular here.

That is true. However, a good shooter adapts to the rules. We have some good shooters going to the WS so part of the goal is to provide them a match experience that might help them prepare. This is not going to be an IPSC sanctioned match and it would not surprise me if Outlaw is the largest division. And really, the 50+ round stage will be a hoot!

If I shoot pump in outlaw I have to shoot against Ryan and all open shooters that also shoot outlaw....Jesse are you suggesting I "man-up" and do something stupid?

Edited by Lead-Head

How many stages?

How many rounds?

Entry fee?

That will all be out soon, but if I had to bet, I'd plan for 14 stages, approximately 270 rounds (bird, buck and slugs) and not more than $175.

Wow, as an open 3 gun shooter this is disappointing....

I'll have to shelve all my normal mags and go purchase minimum of 4 more 10 round mags and figure how to carry at least 5 mags on the body. This year the Outlaw guys are truly the Open guys.

*pause* Just checked my mags with kydex belt hooks and they protrude 80mm off my body. So I'm illegal no matter if I spend an extra $300 on mags or not.

Edited by ToysRUs

Huh? Have you read the rules?

Read post #196 and #198. You don't have to buy new anything, just don't put more than 10 rounds in box mags on 13 stages. On the 14th stage, run a 50 round drum for all I care.

Mark,

Yes I did.

From the rule appendix;

"Detachable magazines accessible to a competitor during a COF must not contain more than 10 rounds at the Start
Signal. However, detachable magazines with an original maximum capacity of up to 12 rounds are permitted."

My mags are 18's, also I can't hang them feed lips down on a belt and when they are horizontal they protrude 12,0000000 mm. LOL

If you can help with ideas that are doable that would be great!

This is all new and very strange to have restrictive limitations in Open.......Thank You Canada

Edited by ToysRUs

According to the rule book you linked to open shooters can't use any mag that is capable of holding more than 12 rounds. For most open shooters in the US that is the majority of our mags.

Magazines are easily blocked. The 75 mm from body does not apply to open.