Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

May start tumbling loaded rounds to find loose primers

austex

I run into loose primer pockets in 9mm brass frequently. I load on a 650, so I usually catch them by feel when loading. Occasionally, I miss one, only to find it at a match when I'm loading magazines. Tumbling after loading might just a good way to prevent the problem.

Are you loading for major power factor, too? I'm curious because I've never had the problem with primers coming out, but I've only loaded minor. Seems like I would have had at least one come out over the years since I use range brass, and I'm sure I've picked up some brass along the way that's been reloaded at major power factor, or have I just been lucky.

So far, seems like it's the 9mm major crowd that's having the problem.

I don't load major in 9mm, but a lot of guys do. My brass is range brass picked up when we tear down after a match. It has become more common these days with shooters moving away from the Supers and Super Comps to the 9mm @ major PF.

Sinclair sells primer pocket uniforming reamers. Honest to god I can't think of a reason why you would do it in a pistol cartridge unless you are attacked by OCD in a Hulk like rage and cannot fight it off...... :roflol:

The problem with 9mm cases is that there are dozens of manufacturers that have different sizing on their primer pockets, I am sure due to the wear on the mandrel that stamps the hole during the manufacturing process. The fact is that the primer pockets work just fine until we shoot them enough that the brass cannot keep or hold the shape in the case due to repeated firing. At that time, it is time to discard. This is definitely true with running 9major. The cases just wear out because they get worked hard. There is really no way to get around it. The brass case is truly a disposable for us, but I understand trying to recycle them as much as we can.

DougC

Ballistic Tools (vendor here) sells a tool to check primer pockets for go or no go. It's suppose to check if you have taken out enough of the crimp to seat a primer but I think it can be used to somewhat check of the primer pocket is oversized.

Never had this problem with pistol but I only shoot 9mm minor.

I've had it happen several times with rifle and now if I don't feel resistance when I seat the primer I mark the case and make sure it gets put in the practice ammo box.

Crazy malfunction. Did you have any problems with rounds made in the same batch of just this one? i dont think i would change anything if it only happened once.

So far, the rest of the batch has been fine. The primer was in the round when it was loaded into the mag. I stuck the loose primer back into the case after the match by hand, but had to whack it pretty good to jar it out again. I think the recoil probably knocked it out the first time.

In my mind using a no-go gauge makes more sense than tumbling but that assume you have deprimed brass...which you most likely do not.

My approach is to always start with once fired military brass. I will cycle a batch of 5,000; pickup practice brass / discard match brass. Eventually the lot size will diminish to the point where I will discard all at matches and start a new batch. This will not guarantee I don't have a primer pocket issue but at least I know what my starting point is. With range pickups you may be starting with brass that has already been molested 10x.