Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1st Timer load help

JLeeCZ

After a couple coats of polyuretrhane are added to my bench top, I will be ready to mount the RL550 I ordered from Brian Enos Store a few days ago. I have Power Pistol on my shelf and AA#7 on the way from Powder Valley. Not sure which one to start with. I have 2500 Xtreme Plated 147's and started placing backorders at Precision Delta back in September for 9mm 147's FMJ and .230 FMJ .45 for a few months down the road. Looks like I will be learning with plated. Understand the crimp is pretty important with plated. Just remove the bell is what I have been told. Staying with 9mm for now .45 later. At some point I want to load coated lead(SNS, Prec Bullet, Bayou, or The Blue Bullet????) if I can convince myself of the benefits.

Don't know where to start with powder weight. I've been told to start in between the lead and FMJ data but knew someone here had some load advice. I have the Lyman's 49th Edition manual which helped me pick the powders, something with a heavier charge to help prevent double charging. Looking to hit a 130 +/- PF for IDPA and practice shooting. I have once fired Win(white box) and Fed. American Eagle brass. Also have a couple thousand new Starline that I want to save until I get this down. Will do this slowly looking for quality over quantity.

My 9's are a G4 Glock 19 and Springfield XDM w/4.5" barrel that I shoot most and will use for IDPA. I'm really excited as everything is starting to come together.

Oh, ordering a Pro Chrono Digital with the gift cards my kids are giving me for Christmas.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by XDMer

Will do this slowly looking for quality over quantity.

This is the key to safe reloads, plus a Chrono. This forum is a wealth of information. Read all you can. As far as loads, reduce 'any' load 10% and check it out. Don't load 100 rds. of a specific load, until you have checked it. Pulling a lot of rds. is a pain in the keister.

Good Luck!

Being sorta 'cheap' I personally just visually check powder charge on every case while loading.

Small light on flexible arm can help a lot to point it at the spot to see better.

Also, I check every empty case for remaining/stuck media and head stamp before it goes into shell plate.

Even then, I still can make about 400rds/hr with my Hornady LNL.

Just setup your press, learn operation, go slow at first, you will be faster after 10 or so loading sessions.

Oh, make sure you have bullet puller :) they come in handy even with a seasoned reloader :)

The Xtreme plated bullets are supposed to be the same bullets Rocky Mountain Reloading resells. They are plated pretty thick and can be pushed to mid to upper jacketed velocities. I'd start with FMJ data and work your way up. Chrono helps (I need to get one myself, maybe after Xmas).

if you start with power pistol, it doesn't matter what powder weight you use, you can't blow yourself up.

I haven't loaded any 147s with pp, but assuming you have a chrono (and if you don't, you need to go buy one, right now), I would gather some data and learn a little first. Load 5-6 rounds each with 4.6, 4.8, 5.0 and 5.2 gr of power pistol and see what you get in terms of velocity. All those charges are safe with any 147 bullet at pretty much any OAL. I'm guessing that 4.6 or 4.8 will be sufficient to make PF, but you want to be certain, rather than just guessing.

Actually, I don't think you can load so much AA7 OR Power Pistol in the case as to break something. There are plenty of data out there for both powders, but AA7 has probably more data for 147's in 9mm than PP has, and is seemingly preferred by a lot of shooters for accuracy, but that would depend on the gun also. Either powder will give you very good performance at or near maximum velocities in 9mm, or indeed from about mid range and up. I have used that very bullet in 9X23 loadings with AA7 driving them well over 1200fps with no issues, so I know that bullet will go as fast as you want it to in 9X19 with no issues. They were very accurate too.

I see no one's mentioned OAL as of yet.

Each gun and projectile will have it's own Maximum OAL, which is worth keeping track of.

I can't tell you for .45, but for 9mm, factory loads and many reloaders run ~ 1.15" for FMJ/RN and 1.10" for HPs. Both of these will cycle in most/many guns.

To check your own individual Max OAL..take an already fired but not yet re-sized case, and a projectile..push it in by hand (may take going through a few already fired to find a decent fit).

Remove the barrel from your gun. Slide the empty, hand assembled round into the chamber, then push down, so the bullet is pushed back by the barrel lands. Remove slowly/carefully, and measure. Do this a few times to ensure proper measurement. Subtract a few thousandth's off the averaged number, and consider this your max OAL for loading for this gun and projectile combo (assuming it's not over mag length or SAAMI max OAL, etc.)

You can then make a 'dummy round' on the press to that OAL, and make sure it passes the 'plink test' - drop it in your barrel, and you should hear a 'plink' as it drops in. Should fall out on it's own, or with very little persuasion.

Your Glock will likely feed anything, even beyond mag length, or at least mine did, but it's always worth a quick sanity check. If your XDM won't go as long, see if it will take the 1.10" for HP or 1.15" for RN, and settle on one OAL for both guns, or at least a combined Max OAL.

• 2 weeks later...

I see no one's mentioned OAL as of yet.

Each gun and projectile will have it's own Maximum OAL, which is worth keeping track of.

I can't tell you for .45, but for 9mm, factory loads and many reloaders run ~ 1.15" for FMJ/RN and 1.10" for HPs. Both of these will cycle in most/many guns.

To check your own individual Max OAL..take an already fired but not yet re-sized case, and a projectile..push it in by hand (may take going through a few already fired to find a decent fit).

Remove the barrel from your gun. Slide the empty, hand assembled round into the chamber, then push down, so the bullet is pushed back by the barrel lands. Remove slowly/carefully, and measure. Do this a few times to ensure proper measurement. Subtract a few thousandth's off the averaged number, and consider this your max OAL for loading for this gun and projectile combo (assuming it's not over mag length or SAAMI max OAL, etc.)

You can then make a 'dummy round' on the press to that OAL, and make sure it passes the 'plink test' - drop it in your barrel, and you should hear a 'plink' as it drops in. Should fall out on it's own, or with very little persuasion.

Your Glock will likely feed anything, even beyond mag length, or at least mine did, but it's always worth a quick sanity check. If your XDM won't go as long, see if it will take the 1.10" for HP or 1.15" for RN, and settle on one OAL for both guns, or at least a combined Max OAL.

Will give it a try. Second guessing myself and may start with the AA#7 being delivered Tuesday.

Got the AA# 7 via FedEx today. Going to start at 6 gr. Accurate recommends aol of 1.16. I measured the stock Winchester ammo I have and it's all 1.16 and runs great in my G19 and XDM.

Not sure why people are so willing to say 'good enough' w/out actually measuring on this one. It's beyond easy to do, and every single projectile brand/model will be different due to profile/ogive. Why not measure once, load once?

Wobbly from the CZ forums has the best explanation and diagrams out there, please at least read post #4. I'll then stop bringing it up; I promise.

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=34225.0

I was 'surprised' to see the OAL I'd been using on my Glock with Montana Gold JHPs had to be shortened further for my PPQ; maybe you'll find a surprise or two, as well..or at least 'know for sure.'

Edited by rtp