Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winter Stag 3G updates

tohm

I need some advice for up dating my Stag 3G this winter, it has about 3000 rounds on it, I do my own reloading. I was thinking of buying a JP but i think i will just upgrade my Stag for now. I am a mid pack shooter in multi gun club matches and want to put my money where it is best spent so here goes

Current updates are an SJC Comp, ACE ARFX stock, AR Gold trigger, 60 deg safety and Tubb springs. I was thinking of a JP Low mass set up and a Syrac Gas block. Possibly a carbon fibre hand guard (really up in the air on this one).

Does this sound like a reasonable package and is there bang for the buck?

Thanks in advance

Tom

Other than a change from the factory comp, you are not going to move up the ranks by pure installation of the parts.

Unless the trigger sucks (if it is a Geissele, then it doesn't). You don't need to change it.

Unless the stock does not fit you, You don't need to change it.

Unless you can't manipulated the safety. You don't need to change it.

Unless you need to shave off 2 or 3 OUNCES from the foreend, you don't need to change it.

Hate to be a naysayer, but you inferred that this winter project was to try to improve the rifle to improve your mid pack standings.

MORE ammo and improved skills will work. Adding parts will not.

NOW, if you just wanna accessorize...have at it! Enjoy your toy! Changing parts out is fun!

But don't fool yourself into thinking the parts will make the score.

Thanks for the honest feedback, that is why I like this forum.

I framed my question that way to get feed back on would any of these changes be noticeable to someone with my skills. I am 54 and just started enjoying this sport so my expectations for grandeur are limited. So the long answer, yes i am accessorizing my AR but would these mods be even noticeable?

The trigger I had issues with and I do like the AR Gold trigger feel (although Stag offered for me to send it in, I did not want to send it in the middle of the season). The Comp was a substantial difference in my opinion even for someone at my skill level. So those are some of the things even I can tell the difference.

JP light carrier is $200+. Adjustable gas block is $100.

If you're reloading, that same $300 is at least 1K rounds. I guarantee you gain far more improvement by spending the money on ammo and meaningful practice than new parts.

JP light carrier is $200+. Adjustable gas block is $100.

If you're reloading, that same $300 is at least 1K rounds. I guarantee you gain far more improvement by spending the money on ammo and meaningful practice than new parts.

I whole heartedly agree!

Lightweight carriers are part of a bigger system change if you want to get the benefit from them. Main point is to soften the gun movement from the buffer bottoming out with a big sliding weight in front of it. You can shoot aimed doubles faster if you minimize gun movement from recoil. In combination with light loads and turned down gas block, (and a well tuned brake) you can really reduce the gun movement from the reciprocating mass. I shoot doubles on everything under 50 yards as fast as I can pull the trigger twice, and gun movement is so minimal the shots usually land within 3 inches of each other. Does it help your long range shooting? Not really, and the longer stuff is where time is really gained or lost. Mostly makes a difference in hosing stages. Unfortunately, hosing stages tend to favor young, fit athletes, and even with vastly superior gear, us old fat guys can't keep up. The money spent on the JP upgrade will be better invested in practice ammo, or a rimfire upper so you can shoot a lot more. If you are running warp speed in matches, but occasionally drop points from losing the second shot of your doubles, then it will be an improvement. But it will not make you more than a couple seconds FASTER in a complete match. In my experience, at least. I went that route because I am a techie, and a gunsmith who can do my own work, and addicted to open class, and it has cool factor.

I need some advice for up dating my Stag 3G this winter, it has about 3000 rounds on it, I do my own reloading. I was thinking of buying a JP but i think i will just upgrade my Stag for now. I am a mid pack shooter in multi gun club matches and want to put my money where it is best spent so here goes

Current updates are an SJC Comp, ACE ARFX stock, AR Gold trigger, 60 deg safety and Tubb springs. I was thinking of a JP Low mass set up and a Syrac Gas block. Possibly a carbon fibre hand guard (really up in the air on this one).

Does this sound like a reasonable package and is there bang for the buck?

Thanks in advance

Tom

A different comp is a good thing on the 3G. The Titan is what I had been using but I've switched to the Seekins Precision comp. Same performance less concussion.

The trigger in the 3G is a good one but triggers are a personal preference thing. I personally love the AR Gold. Feels just likely 2011 pistol.

The stock is again a personal preference deal. I have used the ACE ARFX, Ultra Lite and now I'm on a Magpul PRS kick. None of them make a noticeable difference in your match performance but it builds confidence to have the gun feel lighter or heavier if that's what you're going for.

Same deal on hand guards. None of them are going to change your spot in the standings by themselves. Bear in mind lighter guns feel fast in the hands but are jumpier in the sights during recoil.