Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil spring question

DRJ1911

I just picked up a couple of 10mm's and need some advice. I got a Elite match and a p compact and from what I have read the Match is under sprung for hot loads. I ordered a XP Wolff spring pack for the match but can't find any info on the compact. I will only be shooting hot loads in these guns and could use some advice on recoil spring weights. 22lb for the match? Any advice on the compact? After buying a Elite Match in 45 I just had to have one in 10 and thought I would try the P compact also. I mostly shoot STI or CZ but I am really warming up to these EAA's. Thanks

Doyle

Nealio has shot a lot of hot 10mm loads and suggests the Sprinco recoil reducer for the Match. I don't know what to suggest for the polymer compact, but if it were me I would either shoot the milder 10mm factory loads or reload to a mid level .40 S&W load for the polymer compact. A 180 grain bullet at say 1025 fps is still nothing to sneeze at for regular practice in a compact pistol in my opinion.

The problem with the 22lb spring is that it causes the slide to come forward with such force, that I was worried about breaking a slide stop. And when I was running a 20lb spring, my brass was flying 35 YARDS. With the Sprinco rod, the slide doesn't touch the frame any more, and the slide doesn't slap forward as hard. You have to cut the ejector pin down to keep your brass within a reasonable distance, but the Sprinco made a big difference on that too.

Where do you find the sprinco recoil reducer for a witness?

I can't even find different mainsprings. I used to buy from Hennig, but after two phone calls, emails and messaging from this board with no response, I'm guessing he no longer sells stuff.

I also would like to know the best place to get them. I also can't find mags for my poly 10mm compact. Thanks

Doyle

On gun springs- Nealio beat me to it, also known as Wolff gunsprings.

Sprinco has their own website.

A "main spring" or mainspring" is the same as a hammer spring, not a recoil spring. It powers the hammer forward to strike the firing pin.

EAA Corp has magazines as does gregcotellc.com

About H- I think the Colorado floods earlier this year impacted Henning's response times and then he changed his business's location. I don't know what's happening now, but his products are always top quality although a little pricey. However, he is always happy to share his experience/knowledge if you ask him something, so I believe its worth it.

Edited by jmbaccolyte

You don't need the Sprinco in the compact polymer unless you are shooting 10mm "full power loads"

I would like the option of full power loads in the compact. It has dual recoil springs and I can't find any options for heavier springs. I can't see how the Sprinco could work with the dual springs. This gun will be used for woods protection only so it will not be shot a lot but I would like to use full power loads if possible. Thanks

Doyle

Edited by DRJ1911

For the Match I would do Henning's cone rod and a 20-22lb Wolff spring. The Sprinco is a great piece but doesn't have the cone end and if you don't like it Alan has a full money back return (what I did). Also add a flat bottom block from Henning.

The other option there is a DPM piece.

As for the Polymer try it and see how it runs first. Call Alan and Sprinco and see how that compact rod is configured. It may be a single spring setup!

• 5 years later...

I realize that this is an older thread but I am looking for replacement springs for a dual recoil spring for a EAA Witness 40 compactT. The pistol was sold new with a dual spring set that was too long and the slide would not retract far enough to latch the slide lock.  EAA wanted money to even look at the pistol and told me then back in 2018 that they didn't sell the metal frame Witness Compact with dual springs but the pistol was bought new in the box from a local dealer that ordered it directly from a EAA distributor for me.

I have cut off several coils in order to just barely get the slide lock to engage, also there is a lot of friction between the hammer even when it is at full cock and also between the slide and the side of the ejector.  I still need the slide to travel another 1/8" without  compressing the recoil springs into a solid barrier, Any suggestions as to using an aftermarket recoil system such as the Spinco? I checked their website and found a system for a 10 MM compact but none for a CompactT 40 SW.

Thanks for any help, I love how the pistol looks and feels, and want to get it shooting ASAP.

17 hours ago, Mrmackc said:

Don't look like I am going to get any replies on this forum,  doesn't surprise me .  Should haven't bought a gun from EAA. I bit the bait once, not again.

Most of the people here are primarily into full-sized guns.