Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

polishing the chamber?/

kimberacp

No expert, but wonder why? Has to be a good reason, as there is a benefit to case "hugging" chamber during high pressure period; reduces thrust on bolt. If the chamber is rough, I would contact the barrel maker/marketer. If I was to to do it, would probably wrap 600 grit wet/dry paper around a long tight fitting brush, coat with Kroil and turn at slow to moderate rpms, using a piece of cleaning rod to connect drill to brush. Check results frequently.

Mark

DON'T DO IT - high potential to screw up your barrel, and should never be necessary. If the gun will not run reliably, tell us what the problem is and we can help you troubleshoot. If the inside of a new barrel's chamber is visibly rough, send it back to the manufacturer for replacement.

DON'T DO IT - high potential to screw up your barrel, and should never be necessary. If the gun will not run reliably, tell us what the problem is and we can help you troubleshoot. If the inside of a new barrel's chamber is visibly rough, send it back to the manufacturer for replacement.

thanks, I think I will stear clear of polishing.

If you take off your barrel whats the harm? I would think the bolt would be on a much smoother surface.

I have polished many an AR chamber, both 308, and 223. I have never "damaged or screwed up" a barrel yet. Mpom is right, the only thing I do different is I use a bore mop instead of a brush, 38 cal. For 223 and 45 cal. For 308.

I did mine, I got a dremel for my birthday and went polishing crazy after I did the lifter on my shotgun. I took apart the upper and used a 7/8" dowel and wrapped sand paper around it. went from 120 to 2000 then polished it out. Works fine and have about 2000 rounds down the pipe. just a heads up though, it takes FOREVER!!!

IMG_0386-3.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg

damn photo bucket isnt loading the 1st image I posted (the chamber) you can see where I posted a pic but its not showing up. the second one is of the upper which was one of the things I polished when I was in the mood to polish stuff.