Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RECOIL MASTER newbie / update

dirtypool40

Yes, I already did a search and read the old threads...

OK, normally I shoot a 12# recoil spring with a couple of shok buffs. I have heard a lot of big names, some not at all affiliated with STI, are using them. I hear repeatedly how TJ uses one and he and the Burner have the flattest shooting Limited guns I have ever seen.

Anyway, I know it's technique and the shooters not the gizmos, but I broke down and ordered an STI RM yesterday, the "HEAVY" model for my limited gun.

1.) Did I buy the right one?

2.) Does it need any tuning / tweaking like the old Springcos to get them to work right?

3.) Has anyone experienced breakage with one bought recently (as opposed to the first run I have heard so much about)?

4.) Other experiences or advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

You bought the right one. Make sure the impact surface on the frame and the back of the guide rod tunnel are flat and square. No ridges or surface imperfections, this will make sure the head does not torque when the slide impacts the frame at the end of the rearward recoil stroke. Also the springs are painted to identify the different spring weights - clean the paint off with solvent or you will have it all over the inside of your gun.

STI claims you don't have to replace the spring (and does not sell replacements). They take a set after a couple of practices and they seem to stay about the same after that. One thing I forgot - make sure you don't have any contact between the bottom of the barrel and the head of the Recoilmaster. You may have to cut a relief on the bottom of the barrel. Check the head periodically to make sure it is not coming unscrewed - if it is send it back for a replacement.

(Brazos Custom @ Dec 2 2004, 06:11 PM)

Check the head periodically to make sure it is not coming unscrewed - if it is send it back for a replacement.

Bob,

We could also use this advice pertaining to our mental game.

:lol: That's funny!! True sometimes...but still funny.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little update, got my recol master, probably 500 rounds through the gun now with no malfunctions I could blame on the RM.

One of the guys on here said it felt a lot like a couple of shok-bufs and an 11# spring, and so far I think he's right. That's what I used to run, and there's almost no difference, except for more slide travel without the shok-bufs.

I"ll check back in after a few more k.

Pulled the RM out for inspection after another k or so. It appears to be eveloping a little flat spot or dimple on one edge, I think where it contacts the frame at the bottom.

Will this get worse or break?

Other than that so far I am liking it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

My first RM is now in it's second "host" pistol, the "Mall Ninja Extremo" and is perking along fine. Roughly 13k.

It's also working fine with the "Accu-lok" reverse plug.

Luvin' every minute of it.... :P

• 3 weeks later...

Well this weekend was our annual Sunshine States Games match. After I was finished with our first stage and given the unload command I had the long rod part of the recoil master come sliding out onto the ground. To makes matters worse I could not get the slide far enough back to unscrew the slide racker. So I have to unscrew the c-more, move it out of the way, then unscrew the slide racker so I could get the dang slide off.

After inspecting it I found that it did not break but just unscrewed. I lodt the small inner spring while taking it out of the slide. I had heard about them breaking but now I have seen one first hand. I was REAL lucky that I was able to finish the stage. I only have about 800 rds through the gun.

I've been using a RM for about a year and was liking it ok. No huge advantage but hey if TJ says he uses one then, well you get my point. Came home and fit a regular guide rod and put a 7lb spring in. We'll see how she feels in the long run. Finished the match with a titanium guide rod and an 8lb spring. It did feel different but worked!

Now I'm not sure if I want to try one again or not. I mean I have broken regular guide rods (bad part that was replaced immediately). Not sure I want to chance it again.

Paul, you some how neglected to mention you WON the SSG. Good to see you back on top, Bud.

I recently switched to a bushing barrel and sold off my Bull. So for now the Rm's are in the parts bag for another day.