Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coaching During a Stage: When, Where, and How Much?

sterling your original post and topic title says: during the stage, which to me means after the buzzer and before last shot fired???? post #46 is entirely different from the original topic, now you're talking about training. and as was said earlier technically unless match rules deems coaching is ok, its cheating!!!

the biggest issue is that the term is ambiguous, unless what the match will allow is spelled out specifically, I recall Denise yelling at a squad for coaching because they were using a 40x spotting scope with a ranging reticle to call misses for one another, and to her that was pushing the allowable coaching rule too far, but to do the same with the naked eye was deemed ok. So whats legal and allowable and whats not if it isn't spelled out precisely??????

Simple: No Coaching Allowed........you want to train, train but thats done between matches not at a match.

Trapr

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand your point of view however I think it comes down to house rules whether it be local, regional, or national level events. It's my opinion that taking a hard line doesn't always work. For example at the Ironman a stage may consist of 32 shot/rifle/pistol min (if you shoot each paper with 1 A). Sometimes there is too much to put into memory and there are times when malfunctions and meltdowns happen. A little coaching between the start and stop of the buzzer is nice. And to your last point. Simple is not always simple. We use our local monthly matches as training events (substitution for training) because of several reasons which include: lack of reloading supplies, cost of the supplies, and availability of ranges to train at.

Edited by Sterling White

I understand your point of view however I think it comes down to house rules whether it be local, regional, or national level events. It's my opinion that taking a hard line doesn't always work. For example at the Ironman a stage may consist of 32 shot/rifle/pistol min (if you shoot each paper with 1 A). Sometimes there is too much to put into memory and there are times when malfunctions and meltdowns happen. A little coaching between the start and stop of the buzzer is nice. And to your last point. Simple is not always simple. We use our local monthly matches as training events (substitution for training) because of several reasons which include: lack of reloading supplies, cost of the supplies, and availability of ranges to train at.

Sterling you know Ironman is not typical of 3 gun matches. Heck, people bring extra guns to shooters during a course of fire there and you won't see that anywhere else. I've seen ROs screaming at competitors during a course of fire on what to do next, I've even had to ask them to stop talking, the coaching is so pervasive there.

Doug

Edited by Doug H.

Coaching--as a USPSA shooter and the only one called for coaching at L10 Nationals--I am in favor of coaching during a lower-keyed match.

Like most clubs, new members are a goal. Providing a good experience at a 3 gun match increases the odds of the shooter doing back and perhaps bringing a friend.

I suggest the reasonable man approach. Don't go over-board--YES, it is subjective.

When I shot my first match, I had no idea what I was doing. Coaching was not allowed. I did not shoot a 3 Gun match for 4 years. Some folks made and effort to help me along the way.

sterling as I said originally, local matches, new shooters, help is most always appreciated. matches with prize tables.....NO, thats not called coaching its called cheating. Ironman, if the rules allow it, so be it, I personally do not agree with that approach, but then you've never seen me at that match either have you??

Trapr

• 2 weeks later...

Trapr and all,

Good points and interesting discussion. I believe the common denominator and maybe one of the most challenging functions in this discussion is a persons ability to memorize or maybe the ability to retain into memory a complex temporary plan. We see this time and time again in congo lines and see it play out in different forms at matches. There is nothing worse than having a total melt down and loosing track during the course of fire. At least for me its nice to get back on track with a little help from someone that understands my plan when I'm in a panic to clear a jam or dissect a problem.

And yes, I've never seen you there however I would extend a big invite and welcome you to come play. Anytime we get to pull trigger at a match is always good fun.