Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 Yard US Popper Test

shred

This is something I invented today to work on long steel as well as strong/weak hand shooting.

US Popper set to not fall (I use a practice popper), @ 40 yards (meters, whatever). You could use an 8" plate as well, but it would be a bit harder.

Sight the gun in before you do this.

The test:

Load 5 shots in a magazine. No time limit, but once the gun comes up, you can't bring it back down until you've fired all 5 shots.

Score is the number of hits.

String 1 is freestyle. String 2 is strong-hand only, String 3 is weak-hand only.

Shooting Open today I could hit 4 or 5 pretty consistently freestyle, 2-3 strong hand and usually only 1 hit weak hand.

Couple of weeks ago I did this using 8x11.5 bond paper set out to 35m, iron sights. I didn't miss on my freestyle & stronghand but only averaged 3 on the weakhand, all from draw (no timer, of course :P).

But maaaan, was it really tiring! Not sure if it was due to the shooting or the walking from pasting and replacing targets.

I tried paper plates about the same diameters as the bond paper's width. For some reason, the plates look awfully small at that distance and I had misses.

Surprisingly, I didn't miss the bond papers and my groups are even within what would have been covered by the round plates. Really weird! Must be the shape or something...:unsure:

I would have said the same thing about steel being a good idea, too. No holes to patch means not much walking to do. :)

I tried paper plates about the same diameters as the bond paper's width.

I would have said the same thing about steel being a good idea, too. No holes to patch means not much walking to do. :)

No holes to patch, that's true - you can hear your hits on the steel. But then you have to wonder if that (hearing your hits) is a habit you want to get into.

As far as 25 yd poppers looking huge - I did some ammo accuracy testing with my 22, working hard to get the best groups possible. Right afterwards I shot my Limited gun, and was able to take down bowling pins at 35 yards without too much trouble.

:D

Unfortunately, the effect didn't last but a day before I was back to my old bad habits. <_<

Back to work...

;)

No holes to patch, that's true - you can hear your hits on the steel. But then you have to wonder if that (hearing your hits) is a habit you want to get into.

At 40 yards, you get plenty of time before the ding gets back to you (~0.25 seconds), so it's a great chance to realize why you don't want to wait for it. Of course on a 40yd US popper, unless your call is extremely good, you'll probably wait for it anyway, especially in the context of this drill. It's just cool to know you hit it before you hear the sound.

It's just cool to know you hit it before you hear the sound.

An ultimate test of that was on the old version of Outer Limits, the second target from the first box (40 yard rectangle before they weenied out and moved them closer), just before "the leave." If you could not confidently begin leaving the box before audibly confirming the shot, you'd never shoot a good, consistent score on that stage.

be

It's just cool to know you hit it before you hear the sound.

An ultimate test of that was on the old version of Outer Limits, the second target from the first box (40 yard rectangle before they weenied out and moved them closer), just before "the leave." If you could not confidently begin leaving the box before audibly confirming the shot, you'd never shoot a good, consistent score on that stage.

be

The one I really notice is in the second box when I shoot the gong, then the stop plate. I keep feeling like someday I'm going to hit the stop plate before the sound gets back from the gong and somebody's going to complain that I missed it. Hasn't happened yet (and would require something under a .20 split), but it feels like the shots are right on top of each other when you have a good call on the gong.

One of my favorite shooting experiences last year was practicing Outer Limits. I was leaving the first box on the 25 yard round plate. I shot it and looked at the still-white plate thinking "I can't believe I missed that shot" when all of a sudden a bullet splat appeared dead center on it.

i used to shoot bianchi plates at 50 meters when it rains and i dont want to get wet.

freestyle i could go 6 out of 6 with not much problems. strong hand averages around 4 out of 6. support hand 2-3 out of 6.

now, it does not rain much on sundays and if it does i pull out the m16a2 and shoot 3 position.

got to try and practice the 50 m plates again soon