Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DVD/Video Choice...

tiradi

Any opinions for which video/DVD give the most useful tips/techniques for accelerating shooting speed? My scores (IDPA) are great but speed is somewhat of a hurdle. Throughout my shooting "history" there have been several "enlightenments" that clicked and gave me almost instant understanding as to what I had to do to improve whatever I was working on at that time. You know, front sight focus, high thumb aggressive grip, etc. But getting that second, third...consecutive shots...Several techniques and excercises (including just getting enough "trigger time") have helped but I haven't found that one element that turned the lights on for me. Brian's book as well as others and courses I've attended have helped a bunch but I feel there's a hump I need to get over to get to the next level...and having a bit of trouble doing it. Any suggestions? Thanks.

For me the Burner Series was the best video series. Matt's was good, but I prefer the way Jerry breaks things down. Brians book had the biggest impact on my improvement as a shooter, but the videos were good way to start a foundation. If you are serious about improving, you should take a class or find a M/GM shooter to pracitce with. Remember, every shot counts, so make every shot count. I've wasted too many rounds just pulling the trigger :wacko:

I have seen the Burner Series which is quite good.

I have all of Matt's DVDs. He released his IDPA DVD a little while ago. The Rifle/3Gun is due out now.

Matt's Vol 4 and IDPA are very very good. They are well worth the money. I do not know how accessible JB is, but you can almost always reach Matt by phone.

Call him and order the DVDs. I would recommend Vol 4 and IDPA. Well worth the money. BTW: I jumped an USPSA class after some training by Matt and purchase of his DVDs. I was just re-watching the IDPA one yesterday. Their is a lot of good stuff in it.

Thanks a bunch for the input...I just ordered 1-5 of Matt's DVD's and am looking forward to absorbing them! I have taken a few basic and advanced tactical courses and just recently Scott Warren's IDPA course. Some good exercises and philosophies garnered there! And I do shoot with some excellent shooters. I shot Master Class in PPC for a couple years with a 4" Python, went to a 6" 686PP and kept getting scores just under GM. Took on a GM mentor, he watched me shoot...made a few suggestions about grip... I heard the angels sing and shortly thereafter made GM. Looking for the same sort of enlightenment when it comes to speed. In PPC I know how much time I have and can use ALL of it. That doesn't play at all in the IDPA game...I can hit ANYTHING given enough time! Getting faster and got bumped up a class in the last IDPA state match entered...Just looking for that, "A-HAH!...(click!)"<<<- (lightbulb going on!) when it comes to getting back on target rapidly and calling the shot...Thanks again!

Vol 4 of Matt's builds on Vol 1-3 so be sure to get them all and watch them in order. I don't shoot IDPA so never got Vol 5 but am impatiently waiting for Vol 6 which was supposed to have shipped today...I hope.

I don't think any video series (or book for that matter) can substitute for live training but they can sure help form a solid foundation for that training to build upon.

I just finished Matt's series of DVDs today. He gives some great tips for practice that could have saved months (and $$ worth of ammo) for me. I liked the way he broke things down into practical steps that can be used by everyone from beginner to expert.

I don't shoot IDPA but Vol 5 had some pretty good tactics that could be applied for daily carry. Overall, well worth time!

Stew

JB's is very good, but I find myself always being drawn back to Matt's DVD's. Maybe because it is more of a "bottom line" video (nitty gritty). I've seen 1-3 and currently have #4 (use it as an update/refresher DVD). Can't wait to get the rifle DVD. Whats IDPA???

Whats IDPA???

InDian Pale Ale?

I've also got Matt's 1-4 DVDs and like 'em, but sometimes just watching the big dogs shoot (like on the 2003 Open Nats DVD) will give you a lot of info. Just open up to what you're seeing. ;)

I think I have all of the available videos, ranging from the '89 Nationals through the McGill series ... to the Squad 30 2004 Nationals :P

If I had to restrict myself to just one, it would be Matt's Disk 4. Next on the list would be the rest of this series.

Then, I'd get the DVD of the 2003 SuperSquad to watch how it's done right!

All of the rest of the available tapes/DVDs will definitely teach something unique but the inofrmation density (or Bang for the Buck) is lower.

They're all better than network TV though :ph34r:

Kevin

Funny...THe next thread..."Speed, where does it come from?" has a lot of what I'm asking myself in it. Between the DVD's, all your help and those in the next thread I should be able to get better footing on my "need for speed"!