Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double belt overlap

Craig N

Just how important is the over lap to keeping an inner/outer belt in place? I'm fat and the weight is slooooowwwwly coming off. I measured and thought I could run a DDA belt but it doesn't over lap the 5 to 7 inches. I was wondering if I had a full hook side lined belt like the wilderness gunbelts and if I used 2 keepers to make sure it couldn't be as easily ripped off the inner belt if that would be secure enough to use.

When I added a 5th mag holder for production I learned to appreciate the over lap, even with Velcro added to the mag holders the belt was wanting to peel off. If I didn't have the overlap, I don't see how it would work. I overlap mine in the back and use one keeper at about the center of my back. With your extra girth, it may be more comfortable or necessary to overlap and put the keeper in the front. If the belt is new, I would send it back and get one with the extra length. One less thing you have to worry about when the timer goes off!

Edit to add:

Over this last year I gained about 20lbs. Besides losing a little bit of extra overlap, I've noticed the extra weight around my waist pulls and tugs on the belt, especially when doing a lot of movement on a medium to long course of fire.

Bottom line; get the extra overlap, you'll appreciate it.

Edited by grapemeister

I have gained about 20 myself since getting the correct size belt. I only have maybe 4-5 inches of over lap on my CS belt and have no issues. The original velcro keeper came off so now I run one of these: http://www.arredondoaccessories.com/category.cfm?cid=&pid=jg22i4311mrcxm&GID= and am very happy with it. I am working on getting my belt to fit better too, but it is hard over the holidays!

Well I think CRSpeed makes a bigger one but it doesn't look like it would be much of a difference with 2" more.

Maybe it would be worth sending CR Speed and other manufacturers an e-mail or make some calls and see if they would be willing to make one for you. It might cost too much, but its worth asking, just the same. The folks at CR Speed seem easy to deal with. They sent me some free parts one time all the way from South Africa, I believe.

Depends on how heavy the gear is, not the wearer. I only have a 2" overlap and have never had a problem with:

• CZ SP-01
  • 4 x 10 round mags

Also have run:

• STI Edge
  • 3 x 20 round mags
Edited by SpankYa

i don't have any issues in uspsa, but in 3 gun with the add'l AR mag and shotgun caddies adding a lot of weight and taking up velcro real estate, i have less overap and the outer belt starts to come loose. i do stagger the belt seams (ends) and am thinking of using some sort of keeper or keepers, maybe just zip ties i can cut off at the end of a match.

Edited by davsco

I think if you have at least 2 inches overlap you should be ok. Otherwise try the CR speed belt for that bit extra length. The CR speed belt is a tiny bit less stiff than DAA and I prefer that (found the DAA actually a bit too stiff). being a bit softer may help with you being an 'ample gentleman'. may mean you can get it tighter.

what I'd suggest.

get the inner belt on nice and tight. then turn it about 30 degrees to the right so the overlap of the two ends is half way between your fly and your right pocket (should be nothing on the belt in this area unless you're in open).

now get on the outer belt and get it really nice and tight can have the two ends meeting right in front of your fly. now put the velcro keeper around both belts right in the front where the ends of the outer belt meets. this should hold it together nicely.

2 inches doesn't sound like much. but if your DAA belt is only just meeting now, a 2 inch longer CR speed belt might do the trick. definitely put velcro on the inside of your mag pouch mounts and holster mounts if they are separating the 2 belts. it helps a lot.

what I'd suggest.

get the inner belt on nice and tight. then turn it about 30 degrees to the right so the overlap of the two ends is half way between your fly and your right pocket (should be nothing on the belt in this area unless you're in open).

now get on the outer belt and get it really nice and tight can have the two ends meeting right in front of your fly. now put the velcro keeper around both belts right in the front where the ends of the outer belt meets. this should hold it together nicely.

Thanks for the idea, if I understand it correctly you only have a max of three layers of belt anywhere instead of four. But I have lost 8 pounds (so far) so maybe I will not "need" this!

yep. exactly only 3 layers of belt at the 2 joint parts instead of 4. and put the keeper right over where the outer belt joins. as long as that bit can't start to come apart you will be totally fine. well done on loosing 8 pounds. :) there is no downside to a long belt. if you lose more weight down the track you can just cut it shorter. :)

• 5 weeks later...

Oh, and for the OP, if you want the exact right bits of velcro, the ben stoeger pro shop has the velcro bits needed for the backs of the ghost mag pouches. $5.

http://www.benstoegerproshop.com/Velcro-insert-for-Ghost-Magazine-Pouches-5-pack-p/ghost-velcro-5.htm

I can't remember how much the mount for the bladetech holster separates with flat surfaces but from memory it is a bit. so add some velcro to the back of it too. a tip when putting on the adhesive velcro stuff. heat it up a little with a hair dryer (heat the part up a bit too). put it on and press it down nice and hard. then leave it for at least 48 hrs if not more (I generally leave it a week). if it's not stuck down 100% right all that will happen is it will come off and stay stuck to the inner belt.

Pull it as tight as you can or will and go for it. I use a belt that is 4 inches shorter for production than my NEW single stack belt and it holds every thing fine. good belt loops on the pants and velcro on all your gear.