Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help with mods for a dedicated target G17.

SWThomas

I bought a Gen4 G17 that already has a Zev Fulcrum trigger kit installed. That's the only mod it currently has. I want to turn this pistol into a dedicated paper-puncher. I already have a G19 for carry and an XDM40 for HD. What are some good mods for a dedicated target gun? Any recommendations would be great.

For my G17 G4 that's used primarily for GSSF (accuracy), I put Dawson FO front/adjustable rear sights on and just installed a Bar-Sto semi drop in barrel for lead reloads/cheaper practice.

Have not shot the Bar-Sto yet, but feel confident the accuracy will be there with the right load recipe.....

I'm sure the Zev Fulcrum will satisfy your trigger needs!

;)

I think the two mods that will benefit you the most are trigger and sights. The Zev trigger you have, is it the ultimate? The one with the lightweight striker included? Dawson precision are by FAR my favorite sights for the Glock but theres many good ones out there and it probably just comes down to preference. Theres a lot more you can do thats not necessary but still nice to have. It's kind of just up to you as far as how much you want to put into it. I recently invested in a heavy brass magwell and i think the added weight to the Glock gives it a much better feel. Also, you could try a stainless guide rod and a few different recoil springs to see which you like best. Have fun with it.

Yup, sights and trigger. My preference is always plain black adjustable rear and if the use is just shooting paper I like a plain black front. If action shooting I like a red fiber optic front. Mine are Dawson. I put a SS uncaptured guide rod and bought a couple of different weight springs but wound up with the factory weight 17 lb one in my 35. I think factory in the 17 is 14 lb. My 35 locks back on the last round even with IDPA minor loads and this combination.

Yup, sights and trigger. My preference is always plain black adjustable rear and if the use is just shooting paper I like a plain black front. If action shooting I like a red fiber optic front. Mine are Dawson. I put a SS uncaptured guide rod and bought a couple of different weight springs but wound up with the factory weight 17 lb one in my 35. I think factory in the 17 is 14 lb. My 35 locks back on the last round even with IDPA minor loads and this combination.

On the Gen 3 Glocks the recoil spring is 17# on the full size .40 and 9mm.

The Gen 4 spring is heavier than the Gen 3 spring.

The Op. is referring to a Gen 4 pistol.

Edited by JBP55

Not sure if by your terms "dedicated paper puncher" and "Target Gun" if you have competition aspirations of some sort that might limit your options rules and/or class wise?

If not, were kind of the same project. I've got defense and carry guns, and one dedicated to shooting production in USPSA (all Glocks except for a Shield I carry occasionally). What I wanted was a "fun range gun". Something just for me that I could take out and enjoy shooting (hopefully) as well I possibly could with.

What I've ended up getting setup is coincidently also a Gen 4 Glock 17. It is currently off getting a match grade barrel, and slide mounted Docter III mini red dot sight with co-witnessed suppressor sights. As good as the Warren and Dawson sights are, for what I'm looking for they just could not compete with the red dot. Expensive, but it's a once in lifetime toy for my only real remaining hobby. Trigger wise I've got a Glockworx lightened striker, 3.5 Glock Connector and Wolff Extra Power trigger spring. Might also look into a custom slide lock which I've heard improves accuracy, but have not really researched it that far yet.

Good luck!

Not sure if by your terms "dedicated paper puncher" and "Target Gun" if you have competition aspirations of some sort that might limit your options rules and/or class wise?

If not, were kind of the same project. I've got defense and carry guns, and one dedicated to shooting production in USPSA (all Glocks except for a Shield I carry occasionally). What I wanted was a "fun range gun". Something just for me that I could take out and enjoy shooting (hopefully) as well I possibly could with.

What I've ended up getting setup is coincidently also a Gen 4 Glock 17. It is currently off getting a match grade barrel, and slide mounted Docter III mini red dot sight with co-witnessed suppressor sights. As good as the Warren and Dawson sights are, for what I'm looking for they just could not compete with the red dot. Expensive, but it's a once in lifetime toy for my only real remaining hobby. Trigger wise I've got a Glockworx lightened striker, 3.5 Glock Connector and Wolff Extra Power trigger spring. Might also look into a custom slide lock which I've heard improves accuracy, but have not really researched it that far yet.

Good luck!

If you have a fitted Match Grade Barrel or an accurized Glock barrel the slide lock will not help you as the barrel will already be locking up tight.

The slide lock will help a litle in most OEM Glocks, especially the ones prior to the Gen 4. The Gen 4 Glocks lock up tighter than all preceding Glocks and the slide lock may not improve some of them.

If one was looking for a slide lock, which would be any better then the one that's already in the gun. Most places i see that sell them don't really give a description about if the dimensions are different or if provides any advantage. They usually just say they're extended emphasizing on the fact that you can take the gun down easier, but don't mention anything about improved lockup.