Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL650: emptying live primers from the system

My reloading is done in an unheated garage, so I take care to keep my powder and primers stored in sealed dry containers. I never leave powder or primers in the XL650 after a reloading session.

The way I empty the primer system is by holding the shellplate up just enough to free up the primer indexing arm and then repeatedly cycling the indexing arm to move the remaining live primers out of the system onto the ski ramp, and then probably on to the floor if I lose count.

Is there a faster or better way? I'm aware of the ski ramp replacement (and I'm considering it), but before I buy that little piece of jewelry I thought I'd check to see if my basic technique is reasonable.

By the way, Mr. Enos, if you're watching, this is a very valuable forum. The technical knowledge here is excellent, and the responses are usually quick. Quite a resource!

Chris

The way I empty the primer system is by holding the shellplate up just enough to free up the primer indexing arm and then repeatedly cycling the indexing arm to move the remaining live primers out of the system onto the ski ramp, and then probably on to the floor if I lose count.

This is the way I empty mine also. I have not done any mods to the "ski jump", although i found that a .45 case does fit on the ramp and tuck under the priming system. It will nicely catch about 10 small primers.

Your way is probably best. But the trick for me is to consider the primers being out to end the session. If I am developing loads and only running 20 I only put 20 primers in the magazine. If I am mass producing I keep dumping full tubes into the machine until I feel like quitting for the time being, then I just keep reloading until the primers are empty. Basically I never have primers in the machine when I am done loading.

If you have a case feeder you can do some experimenting and learn when to switch off the case feeder so you will run out of cases and primers at the same time. :cheers:

Your way is probably best. But the trick for me is to consider the primers being out to end the session. If I am developing loads and only running 20 I only put 20 primers in the magazine. If I am mass producing I keep dumping full tubes into the machine until I feel like quitting for the time being, then I just keep reloading until the primers are empty. Basically I never have primers in the machine when I am done loading.

If you have a case feeder you can do some experimenting and learn when to switch off the case feeder so you will run out of cases and primers at the same time. :cheers:

Yup, loading in lots of 100 eliminates extra primer handling and makes it easy to count loaded rounds because it is simply plastic things x 100. The only tricky thing is to remember to pull the case out from under the powder measure when the primers run out. I let the press size a new case on each cycle until the last loaded round is in the tray.

Later,

Chuck

What is the issue with keeping primers in unheated garage? Just curious? I'm always trying to load until I run out of primers, but that just means I hear "beep". There is still primers left in a disk.

I don't know if there's really an issue, I wanted to point out that the primers are kept in an environment that's not usually room temperature, but they are sealed against humidity. The powder is kept in the original polymer jugs or bottles, which are held in a wood-lined steel box (with casters).

Chris

Edited by cohland

The way I empty the primer system is by holding the shellplate up just enough to free up the primer indexing arm and then repeatedly cycling the indexing arm to move the remaining live primers out of the system onto the ski ramp

Same here.