Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Old SV Mags Sticking in new STI Frame

ExtremeShot

I've built several 2011's over the past few years but I've got an issue I haven't seen before. My old SVI mags are sticking in a new STI frame.

I've ruled out the grip and mag release, they aren't the issue.

So I'm looking at only the frame (slide, barrel, grip....everything has been removed from the frame) and I'm looking at only the frame and the mag. I've jacked with the mag..it can not be shaped anymore without having a negative affect.

I stick the mag up into the hole like it would be if the gun was put together, and it's obvious the mag is hitting the inside of the frame. I also tried a STI mag and it goes in nicely without touching.

It appears that maybe this frame is narrower (side-to-side) on the inside where the mag inserts. Anyway, I'm going to pull apart my other gun and measure the distance and see if there is a difference, but I thought I'd also throw this out here and see what you all have found?

Thx,

D

I also had to remove some material from my STI frame to get my SV mags to drop free. Sharpie up your mags and insert / drop the mags a few times. The shinny spots will indicate where material will need to be removed. The front left corner is where i had to take the most material off.

The newer STI fames have an added reinforcement under the slide stop notch. This is to prevent the crack from going deep down.

You have to relieve the frame at this point. A small bevel all around would help too. The grip bushing may need to have a larger relief.

Thanks guys!

xStonesx...I actually smoked my mag and saw where it was hitting...so yeah, that's how I'll go about it. I just didn't want to start filing away until I verified that others were seeing the same thing. Wished I'd asked the question before I started jacking with my mag though.....now I have it out of shape.

Thanks again!

D

I've built several 2011's over the past few years but I've got an issue I haven't seen before. My old SVI mags are sticking in a new STI frame.

I've ruled out the grip and mag release, they aren't the issue.

So I'm looking at only the frame (slide, barrel, grip....everything has been removed from the frame) and I'm looking at only the frame and the mag. I've jacked with the mag..it can not be shaped anymore without having a negative affect.

I stick the mag up into the hole like it would be if the gun was put together, and it's obvious the mag is hitting the inside of the frame. I also tried a STI mag and it goes in nicely without touching.

It appears that maybe this frame is narrower (side-to-side) on the inside where the mag inserts. Anyway, I'm going to pull apart my other gun and measure the distance and see if there is a difference, but I thought I'd also throw this out here and see what you all have found?

Thx,

D

Had similar problem solved by filing the back side of my mags (single stack 1911). If the frame is truly out of spec, it may need some filing. I always file the cheapest part first.

You may want to use the old black sharpie on the mag to locate the friction areas first.

Recently picked up a couple old sv tubes. One of them didn't drop free- front of the mag was rubbing against the frame just below the barrel/feed ramp. Removed a few thousandths from the front top of the mag and problem solved.

-424D57