Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 vs 9mm 6" 3 Gun Pistol

dkynoch

Hi,

I am new to the forum; but have been shooting most of my life. I have shot some USPSA and mostly 3 gun matches; but I am just now starting to get serious about it. I know that a lot of you might read the title to this post an just say 9mm; but, it has been a debate for me. I think I have some good points that would be in favor of a 40.

I am about to start buying parts in the next few days for a 2011 based pistol. I am planning on a Phoenix Trinity frame, 6 inch slide, and whatever other parts I need.

The plan is to use it for 3 gun and USPSA. My thought is to build it in 40 with a bushing barrel, a classic slide and wide body frame cut down to a standard length; I just like the looks of a classic slide and standard length frame.

Some of the reasons for a 40 are:

I can load 155 grain bullets to 800 fps for a light 3 gun load

It seems like 40 brass is easier to come by

I like loading bigger rounds on a progressive; it just seems like they run smother through the press

A 40 can still be loaded up for major loads in USPSA

I think the advantage of the 9mm would be more capacity, and maybe less recoil; but, I think a 155 40 going 800 fps would be pretty soft.

What do you guys think.

If you're only going to have one gun-to-shoot-them-all, I say get it in .40SW.

I did that a few years ago, but then one thing led to another and now I have a 6".40 for USPSA and a 5" 9mm for 3-gun, IDPA, Steel Challenge and anything else where making major PF is not needed.

Damn things have a way of multiplying...

The only advantage 9mm has is capacity. If you aren't made of money (I'm not either) and can't buy a gun for USPSA and 3gun then 40 is where it's at. I shoot .40 in everything now because it's easier to only have to deal with one set of components.

Thanks for the replies. 40 is what I have been thinking I would go with. What are some of you thoughts about going with a bushing barrel vs. a bull barrel. I am planning on going with a bushing barrel because they are more available and I need it soon; but could wait if a bull barrel would be better.

Dave

I had a chance to shoot both this weekend. It is hard to tell with other people's guns. I am going to go with the 40. I think even in 3 gun it would be nice to have the availability of major power loads. Like on those damn spinners!

40 is the way to go for a uspsa and 3 gun pistol. The guys using 9mm are often 3 gun only shooters. Your really only going up 3 rounds going with a 40 over 9mm. A 40 can be downloaded to minor pf and if need be go up to major for spinners etc