Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newbie question, buying powders/primers

G17

Ok guys, i'm sorry this is a total noob question as i am just currently getting into reloading. I'm sorry if i missed the awnsers to this elsewhere on the site. I almost have my bench set up and i'm looking into ordering powder and primers for the first time. I visited Powder Valley and i'm trying to understand the steps for ordering these "hazmat" materials.

So from one i understand you don't have to have it go to an FFL like if you were to buy a handgun online. Powder Valley states they need a copy of your drivers license on file. How do you provide them with this? Do you fax it, scan and email it to them?Also it says you have to require a statement that it doesn't the store doesn't break any Federal, State, or local laws. How do you provide something like that? Does every online store that you get these materials from require this?

I didn't know i was looking at a $28 dollar surcharge for the HazMat materials. What do you guys recommend the best method of shipment? It says you have to have someone sign for the package, which kind of sucks because i live by myself and work like everyday so timing a shipment to arrive unless i Next day air it is not going to be easy at all. Is there anything else i should know? It sounds a lot easier to get components locally although i have yet to see any shops at all in my area carry products like these.

I just want to make sure that i have all of this straight before i order to avoid any complications.

Thank you

Edited by G17

Unless this is something new Powder Valley is requiring, I think you may have misunderstood something you read at thier website. I've never had to provide a copy of my DL to them or anybody else as a requirement to buy primers or powder.

I would have the primers and powder shipped to your work place, if they will allow it, or just pick it up at the UPS or Fedex Ground office. The hazmat fee is good for up to 50lbs of primers and powder which is another reason to buy in bulk, and get as close to that 50lb limit as possible.

I should add: the US Postal Service will not ship primers and powder, and UPS and Fedex will not fly it. It has to be shipped via ground transportation.....no overnight or next day stuff.

Edited by grapemeister

I use PV exclusively when I order online. Never asked for any documents that I remember. Yes, you get hit with a $27.50 hazmat fee AND $20 shipping for up to 48? pounds. This is why you whip out the credit card and order a whole box full of stuff, or get a group buy going. If you are still trying to figure out what works just go to a local shop and pick up a brick of primers and any decent pound of powder they may have.

Gentlemen thank you for your responses. Ok, so it doesn't sound as complicated as i thought. Considering shipping/hazmat will be like 50 bucks i'll probably weight until i can order a lot of it at once. As for buying local i frequent all the local gun shops around here and haven't seen any on the shelves, BUT i haven't asked anyone about it either so maybe they will be able to direct me. I guess i'll try buying locally at first. If anyone knows anywhere in Central Fl, that stocks powders and primer feel free to let me know. Theres SO many options for powders i'm having trouble narrowing down which to try first. Chances are if i saw it in a shop i wouldn't know whether it would be any good for me. Guess i just need to do more reading.

Gentlemen thank you for your responses. Ok, so it doesn't sound as complicated as i thought. Considering shipping/hazmat will be like 50 bucks i'll probably weight until i can order a lot of it at once. As for buying local i frequent all the local gun shops around here and haven't seen any on the shelves, BUT i haven't asked anyone about it either so maybe they will be able to direct me. I guess i'll try buying locally at first. If anyone knows anywhere in Central Fl, that stocks powders and primer feel free to let me know. Theres SO many options for powders i'm having trouble narrowing down which to try first. Chances are if i saw it in a shop i wouldn't know whether it would be any good for me. Guess i just need to do more reading.

What are you trying to load? 9mm? Are you the shooter building a Glock with comp etc? Are you going to stay minor or go MAJOR with it?

Different powder and primers typically is why I ask.

What are you trying to load? 9mm? Are you the shooter building a Glock with comp etc? Are you going to stay minor or go MAJOR with it?

Different powder and primers typically is why I ask.

Yes that is me. I'm setting up the 17 for open with the goal of shooting major. I plan on shooting minor for however long it takes to feel i have a firm grasp on reloading. Then, yes the plan at some point is to load major for it. I understand for major the powder is going to be different. I guess i'm not too concerned with what i start with. I just want to get some reloading minor under my belt. In the meanwhile i'm trying to read as much as i can about what people use for major 9mm loads, its just the information seems to vary pretty greatly i'm having a tough time locking in on any specific powders. Everyone has to start somewhere i guess.

Lots of choices for powder; a lot of it boils down to personal preference. It's good to talk with guys at the range that have something close to your setup, and try shooting thier guns and ammo to see how you like it, especially if you're planning on loading 9mm at major power factor. Of course, there is tons of info in the reloading and Glock forums on different loads, minor and major. Like you said, do lots of reading to help yourself decide.

If you are in Daytona, there's a place not too far from you that stocks primers/powders. Your best bet is to buy local until you know exactly what you want then buy bulk. I'm not too far from you so feel free to PM me if you need help. I load 9 major so i'm sure I can point you in the right direction.

A couple of years ago when I called to place an order PV asked me to send them a copy of my DL. I just took a photo of the DL and emailed it. Never have asked for it since. Midsouth Shooters Supply asks to verify your birthday, and Natchez and Midway have never asked for anything. Either way it is no big deal.

As has already been stated placing large orders of powder and primers is one way to minimize the haz mat fee. Buying small quantities of different powders locally is a good idea until you get an idea of what you want to run. If you get down to the Merritt Island area there is a small shop that has a decent selection of powders and primers for fair prices. They had pound containers of WW231, WST, Solo1000, and I think HS-6 (works for 9major and 9mm middling minor). They are about 1 mile north of 528 on State Road 3.

Since powders are kind of "catch as catch can" at local shops, and you are new to reloading and don't have much previous knowledge of various powders, I might suggest that you take either 1) a pretty good reloading manual with you to the shop and tell them you have it when you walk in and need it to pick some powders, or 2) take some notes with you of various powder names you have seen in a few manuals that would be good for what you are trying to do and refer to those as you shop for powder. Though there are a lot of suitable powders for 9mm minor, it is not infinite, and a list of say, a half dozen or so, that you are interested in might be helpful. I might suggest some of the MEDIUM burners as best for general reloading, (Silhouette, True Blue, Unique, Universal, WSF, et al), rather than going with some of the faster powders which are more for specialty loads that might seem interesting but are not as versatile.

First time I bought primers from Widener's they didn't ask for info, but then the second time (earlier this year) they asked for a copy of the driver's license. I just emailed them a pdf copy from a scanner. You can buy stuff in bulk, and even with shipping and Hazmat, it can come out to better prices than you can find them locally.

Powder is a lot tougher though, especially when you don't have a load in mind already. If you already have bullets in hand or a bullet weight you want to load for, you can probably narrow down what powder speed you need. I downloaded a copy of the Hodgdon burn rate (google "powder burn rate") so that I could compare burn rates and find substitutes.

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Burn%20Rates_121211.pdf

Midway is easy to work with but I cannot recall it ever being cheaper than just finding a local sporting goods store that carries what you want or have them order it next time they place a bulk order. They buy in bulk and the hazmat fees are absorbed easily by them into the multitude of items they order. It helps your local provider and in the case of powder and primers is much cheaper