Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Zev Magwell, GRRRRR

G17

Ok, guys i was super stoked that i got my Zev magwell for my gun today. I put the brass insert up into the gun, then i put the magwell on. I assume the screw that goes up into the bottom of the brass insert is supposed to go through the bottom of the magwell then into the insert to hold the magwell on correct? Well that screw doesn't even have a chance of fitting through the hole thats on the bottom rear of the magwell. The hole in the magwell looks just a little too small. It looks as if that hole isn't even for the screw that's on the brass insert. Without that screw theres nothing to hold the magwell onto the gun. I'm so confused. I'm looking at my invoice and it says "4th Gen BRASS Speed Feed Magwell w/ Large Brass insert".

Anybody know what the deal is? Did they give me the wrong magwell or something? I'm not understanding why the insert screw is bigger then the hole thats on the magwell. I'm frustrated.

Nope i have the two screws that came with it, one goes in the back of the brass insert, and one goes in the bottom of it. The bottom one is far to fat to fit through the whole in the magwell. The only thing i can think of is they sent me a 4th gen insert with a gen 3 magwell. Dangit man, that really sucks.

The gen 3 and gen 4 magwells obviously take a different size screw considering the insert is different. The hole just needs to be a little bigger to get the screw though. What are the odds i'm able to drill the whole out to widen it up? Or should i just send it back? I'm just being impatient. I hate screw ups. It's too late now, just have to wait till Friday to call.

Edited by G17

I just got the same mag well and it fits my gen 3. The only thing I can see that's different is the hole in the insert wont line up just right to the hole in the back strap. Try putting the insert on the mag well then putting in the frame. I have used the G4 mag well and insert on the G3 just without the back strap screw. I don't have my G4 35 yet and I was impatient and wanted to try the mag well on my pistol.

I just got the same mag well and it fits my gen 3. The only thing I can see that's different is the hole in the insert wont line up just right to the hole in the back strap. Try putting the insert on the mag well then putting in the frame. I have used the G4 mag well and insert on the G3 just without the back strap screw. I don't have my G4 35 yet and I was impatient and wanted to try the mag well on my pistol.

The screw that is meant to go through the magwell and into the insert to hold the thing on is too big. It screws into the insert just fine, but it's far too big to go through the hole in the magwell. The magwell fits the gun fine, but it's not going to stay on unless i can get a screw that goes through there. I don't know if they just sent me the wrong screw or if the gen 3 and gen 4 magwells both use a different hex screw. If that's the case then i probably got the gen 3 magwell.

post-49854-0-13770100-1385688837_thumb.j

I ran into the same issue with the one I just received for my G35, I just used my dremel to enlarge the hole and it worked just fine. However I don't advise you doing this unless you're completely cool with the idea of if you wreck it you gotta own it...The one I put on my G22 went on without a hitch...

Well my Zev magwell came in for my G35-Gen 3.

Went together slice as ice- both holes lined up,

Screws went in straight.

Just rub it in.... :angry2:

Lol, anyways i tried calling them today but they're on vacation until Monday. Ugh.

Edited by G17

Well my Zev magwell came in for my G35-Gen 3.

Went together slice as ice- both holes lined up,

Screws went in straight.

Just rub it in.... :angry2:

Lol, anyways i tried calling them today but they're on vacation until Monday. Ugh.

G17- just wondering how you made out with the mag well issue??

Lmao, I made out well. Although my impatience and absolute determination to make things work overrode my ability to wait until monday to call them. Basically i looked at every picture of the Gen 3 and Gen 4 magwell i could find and i came to the conclusion that they sent me the wrong gen magwell. The brass insert i got was correct and went up into the frame nicely. The hole in the magwell was too small and obviously made for a different insert screw. I just kept looking at it and i knew i could make this work. The gen 3 frame is the same same as a gen 4 with a medium back strap. I took an Xacto knife and cut the very bottom of the medium back strap off (the part that clips into the bottom of the frame) i then pushed the frame with the backstrap into the magwell. It actually fit on so snug that i was able to run a few hundred rounds through the gun without the magwell screw and the magwell didn't budge. I just wanted to see how the weight felt on the gun because if i was going to be sending it back that was my opportunity to get a different weight. I absolutely loved the weight of the brass mag/ brass insert. It made shooting that gun so much better.

At that point i realized this thing is awesome i'm not sending it back. So that night i went to work on it figuring out how to open the hole to accept the back strap screw that i already have. It was actually very difficult because the screw is meant to be recessed up into the magwell. So that meant drilling one size hole, then another on top of it for the head of the screw to sit down into. My only concern from the beginning was if the brass and their (60 rockwell hardness) was going to eat up my bit. I used a drill bit on my dremel tool at pretty high speed and just slowly, very slowly worked my way into expanding the hole.

I'm really happy with it, it's on there as tight as it could be and you can't notice AT ALL that i had to make any modification to it. Plus i'm able to use the medium back strap with it which i prefer. Part of the reason i didn't really want to send it back is i'm going to be moving in the next few days and i honestly didn't want to take the chance of them shipping it back to the wrong address. Anyway, It all worked out and i couldn't be happier with it. I'll definitely be ordering another in the future regardless of the mistake. I definitely think they're the best looking magwell made for the Glock.

Edited by G17

FYI,blade steel of a knife is +-60 rockwell hardness. 6Al 4v Titanium has a rockwell of approximately 40, unless it's been heat hardened.

Yah, i really know nothing about what that means. I tried to wikipedia i was having trouble understanding it. I assumed because Glockworx listed it they wanted you to be impressed by the numbers or something. So i just assumed it was really hard. I didn't have that much trouble with it.

Edit: I went back to their website and they actually have the stainless steel model listed at (60 rockwell hardness).

Any idea where brass would fall in that scale?

Edited by G17

WOW- your better than the average Joe. :bow:

Me- I would have sent it all back and started from

the beginning :sick: .

Lazy mans way- :devil:

Glad it worked out- :cheers:

I am the average joe, lol. But i wanted it to work, and i felt confident about it, and i may have got a little lucky.