Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Xtreme/RMR 124gr plated HPs - load to cast or jacketed data?

rtp

With the current 'sale' (15% off) at Xtreme, I picked up 500 124gr plated HP to try, along with another case of MG 124gr JHP on the way.

I've seen references to load them to jacketed velocities, and that the plating is supposed to be fairly thick (vs Berry's, Ranier), but are you guys whom are or have used them loading to jacketed load data, cast, or in between?

My current happy load is 4.9gr of WSF under a Montana Gold 124gr JHP, ~1130FPS, OAL of 1.065" (somewhat short chamber on one pistol, previously loading to 1.085"). WSF data is always a slight challenge, as that's well within 124gr FMJ load ranges (4.7-5.3), as well as being a fairly often recommended load, but my velocity is a bit higher than Hodgdon load data, while it shoots quite well. I'll probably back off my 'go to' load to 4.7 and re-chrono/re-test as a result of shortening the OAL recently.

The only 'benefit' here is with the current discount pricing, vs somewhat 'not so discounted' pricing of MG (case qty), I save ~1c/rd. 3 matches/month + some practice would amount to ~$10-12/month savings, or thereabouts. I'm not sure it makes enough difference for me to consider or not at this point.

Hodgdon online shows 4.7-5.3gr for a 124gr FMJ, while it shows a range of 4.0-4.7gr for a 124gr Lead RN.

Anyone using them and able to compare them vs jacketed or cast load data?

Are they 'worth' the cost savings of 1c/rd?

I have been loading Xtreme & RMR 124s for over a year now. I load them to a upper middle range between cast & jacketed. I load mine with 4.0gr of bullseye which gives a 132pf if that helps. I do run my .40 cal 180gr at major for USPSA. The coating is double struck so they will run at jacketed velocities with no issues.

I'm not sure if it has been actually confirmed yet, but I believe that RMR is an XTreme reseller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Xtreme vs RMR, I think you're right from everywhere I've read at least, thus the title including both.

Ok, so sounds like in this case my starting load for them will probably still be below 124gr jacketed data, as they're non-overlapping (4.0-4.7gr for LRN, vs 4.7-5.3gr for FMJ...will do some more digging through other load books and see if I can find more than the single Hodgdon lead load..).

You almost threw me for a loop there throwing in that .40 data. ;)

Looks like Bullseye 124gr for speer gold dot is ~4-4.4gr, Lyman 121gr LRN 3.4-4.2gr, Sierra 124gr jacketed 3.5-4.4gr, so yeah, in your case you're more or less upper middle of the overlap area...I just don't have any overlap in the data I have for WSF at the moment. ;)

Pending me finding any additional WSF or Xtreme data, will do a few at 4.2, 4.4, 4.6, and finally 4.8gr and work up on the chrono to see where they land, looking for accuracy and a PF ~130 allowing for some temp sensitivity of WSF.

I've never loaded WSF but I decrease the powder charge about .3 between MG 124 JHP and the x-treme 124 RN for the same minor PF. I download about .5 for open.

You might also try the regular round nose for ~$10 less per K than the HP. I've noticed that the MG is more accurate (clover leaf at 15 yards) but the RN groups are only about .5" bigger.

If you can get a few buds together for a group buy (25K or more), the prices are even better than their sale.

I have loaded them to 1200 FPS without a single issue. The plating is thick enough to handle jacketed velocity with no problems. Only problem I have had with them was over crimping in the beginning. Otherwise pour it on them, they will take it and ask for more.

What are you guys getting velocity wise out of these rounds?

I am running 4.3 grains of N320 at 1.11 out of a CZ Shadow and im having a hard time pushing them to 128k power factor. I have only loaded the 124 grain HP's.

I've never loaded WSF but I decrease the powder charge about .3 between MG 124 JHP and the x-treme 124 RN for the same minor PF. I download about .5 for open.

You might also try the regular round nose for ~$10 less per K than the HP. I've noticed that the MG is more accurate (clover leaf at 15 yards) but the RN groups are only about .5" bigger.

If you can get a few buds together for a group buy (25K or more), the prices are even better than their sale.

Thanks, this is great info. What powder are you using for the .3gr differential/same PF?

I'll still start@4.2gr and work up, but may expect to go higher.

25k is seeming like a lot of projectiles at once, but doesn't someone also offer a MG multi-case discount as well?

Any idea how those #s compare?

It may well be worth trying to put together a group purchase, depending on the savings.

Thanks, this is great info. What powder are you using for the .3gr differential/same PF?

I'll still start@4.2gr and work up, but may expect to go higher.

25k is seeming like a lot of projectiles at once, but doesn't someone also offer a MG multi-case discount as well?

Any idea how those #s compare?

It may well be worth trying to put together a group purchase, depending on the savings.

I use Alliant e3 for minor and AA7 for open.

Manny Bragg (mannyusa.com) offers a discount for 6 cases and it's about $16 off per case.

Lately, I have been loading RMR 147grn round nose to right at 1200fps in 9X23 with no issues at all. They shoot VERY accurately over 8.7grns of AA7. I have used them in 40cal also in the 165grn HP variety at somewhat "over standard" velocities using 3N38 and they also shot lights out! I have some 124's I will start experimenting with in both 9X19 and 9X23 when the weather permits, and foresee no problems. Even on the RMR site they say to use jacketed data to launch their bullets.

Lately, I have been loading RMR 147grn round nose to right at 1200fps in 9X23 with no issues at all. They shoot VERY accurately over 8.7grns of AA7. I have used them in 40cal also in the 165grn HP variety at somewhat "over standard" velocities using 3N38 and they also shot lights out! I have some 124's I will start experimenting with in both 9X19 and 9X23 when the weather permits, and foresee no problems. Even on the RMR site they say to use jacketed data to launch their bullets.

I can't seem to find this statement on the RMR site, do you have a direct link?

Maybe I need coffee.. :(

I've only seen comments saying OK to use jacketed velocities, not the same as jacketed load data ?

I've got a thousand (124 HP) coming and my plan is to use starting Jacketed data, shoot over the chrono and for accuracy until I am happy. I usually shoot 125 TCL from Missouri Bullets ahead of Unique (can't remember the load right now) for practice and USPSA SS Minor so the plated will be for "Major" matches.

I've only seen comments saying OK to use jacketed velocities, not the same as jacketed load data ?

Seems pretty clear to me, per RMR's website:

9mm 124 grain Plated Hollow Point bullets. Please use jacketed load data when loading them as lead cast data is too slow. These should work well for 9mm as well as .357 sig use. They are .355 in diameter.

http://www.shop.rmrbullets.com/9mm-124-grain-Plated-Hollow-Point-1000-count-124-Plated-HP.htm

Seems pretty clear to me, per RMR's website:

9mm 124 grain Plated Hollow Point bullets. Please use jacketed load data when loading them as lead cast data is too slow. These should work well for 9mm as well as .357 sig use. They are .355 in diameter.

http://www.shop.rmrbullets.com/9mm-124-grain-Plated-Hollow-Point-1000-count-124-Plated-HP.htm

Wow - no excuses on that one, I must have somehow read right by/over it several times.

I must have been right on the 'need coffee' part, thanks!

Figured out my 'silliness' on not seeing that. I bought these from Xtreme, not RMR's site, and no such info is included on the bullet listings.

On another page, they mention, "Our Copper Plated Bullets can be run at mid-range jacketed velocities or higher end lead velocities"

I feel a bit better now about 'missing' the linked to quote about RMR saying to use jacketed load data. ;)

• 2 months later...

What are you guys getting velocity wise out of these rounds?

I am running 4.3 grains of N320 at 1.11 out of a CZ Shadow and im having a hard time pushing them to 128k power factor. I have only loaded the 124 grain HP's.

It makes me wonder if it is just different chrono's or what. I shot the 124 Xtreme HP today for the first time.

4.1gr of N320 1.108 OAL 10 feet from Chrono 43 degrees CZ SP-01

Three 7 round strings average was 1123 1129 1123 for a power factor of 139!

This sounds high to me but I don't know. I can't find much experience out there with this combo.

That is considerably higher than what i found.

Granted, ive only chronod' on one chrono but my readings are consistent.

Ive basically ran the gamut of 3.8 grains all the way up to 4.3 and the data correlated fps wise.

I NEVER broke 1100 fps, even at 4.3 grains. Odd considering you chrono'd in colder temperatures too!