Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

rifle for a Lady

Forgetful

Anyone here have experience personally or their SO? My GF has been using a pin/welded 14.5 non free-floating and wants to get a new 3gun rifle.

Mine is a 18in.

The reason she wants a new one is her long range performance isn't good. She shot my rifle one match and kicked butt on the long range. We think it's a combo of the extra weight stabilizing, extra velocity, and free float. Triggers/optics are the same. Ammo groups a little better in mine but hers is completely acceptable too.

Her big concern is the extra weight/length/inertia of the 18in vs a 16in making run and gun stages slower. Also weight issues standing shooting at 50rd.

So what do the other 3gun ladies use? Carbon fiber handguards? I know the concensus here is 18 for men but women are not...

Edited by Forgetful

At those yardages, resting on the handguard would fore sure throw off the groups. The Midwest industries free float ss gen 2 hand guards are nice and slim. Full rail on top, extended so there's no gap at the front of receiver. And usually if you look in ebay, you can score some good deals.

At those yardages, resting on the handguard would fore sure throw off the groups. The Midwest industries free float ss gen 2 hand guards are nice and slim. Full rail on top, extended so there's no gap at the front of receiver. And usually if you look in ebay, you can score some good deals.

LOL on the quadruple post! I think that may be a record!

I have no experience with the ladies (wait... that came out wrong...) but agree that the real issue will be in fitting. Great idea going with a slimmer handguard. I may be wrong, but I think the Carbon Arms carbon fiber handguard may be slimmer in profile? Anyone confirm that?

The MagPul MIAD grip is adjutable for size. The Ergogrip also felt overly slim to me, which is why I switched to the MIAD.

Then, of course, get her an adjustable buttstock.

As far as barrel length affecting her swing and ability to hold the gun, I'd say that barrel profile will have a greater effect on that due to varying weight. 16" will do fine for your ranges especially to 400yds, though if you're going to spend a lot of time out to 500, a little extra velocity from an 18" might not be a bad idea.

So... a 16" or 18" lightweight barrel, adjustable stock, Ergogrip, and thin profile carbon fiber handguard might be the trick for her. (Heck, who am I kidding? That's the gun I want!!!)

Edited by jkrispies

A friend of mine shoots a JP15 with a 14.5 pinned, free float and the whole 9 yards. Its really a better fit for her than I could have ever hoped.

She shot my 18" rifle when I was helping her get started. My rifle is 10lbs, and she can handle it but it is obviously too big for her. Her 14.5 just has a better balance for her as a smaller stature woman because i think the center or gravity works out better and with the thicker jp barrel and heat radiator thingy it has enough heft to it that she can shoot fast splits with good accuracy. And with a quality barrel there is nothing on a 3gun range a 14.5 can't do.

IMO short guns are king for ladies...just because it seems like 18" guns are like holding a jousting lance for them. I say a medium weight 14.5 or 16" with all the standard 3gun goodies (free float, good trigger, properly adjusted quality stock, muzzle brake, ect). Same thing with shotguns. All the ladies I've seen try to rock 26" shotguns are struggling, but when they shoot a 21-24" gun they are on fire.

Edited by ambluemax

The Carbon Arms handguard is very lightweight but not a super small diameter. It is perfect for me. I just built a 16" with a 15" Noveske NSR for my wife. It is perfect for her, lightweight and she can grip it. Don't put a heavy comp on the end, defeats the whole purpose, the Dynamic Resistance is light and very, very effective. One thing that really made things more comfortable for my wife was one of the more vertical pistol grips like the Bravo Company ones or the Magpul MOE K. Less strain on her wrist.