Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip size question!

Drkinzenbaw

Hi guys,

I'm new to this site and have a question about my new Tanfoglio Witness Elite Limited I just picked up. I want to order some new grips for it and found some I like at the Hennings website but I'm not sure what frame size to order. I know that that my gun technically is a full sized gun but with the factory mag flare do I need to order the small frame panels? Also do any of you have good suggestions for websites to order after market parts other than Hennings and the Tanfoglio site. Thanks for any help you can give.

Another idea is buy a full size set of grips and cut them down. When not at the range I plan to slip off the magwell and put full size grips on for easier concealed carry. Also I have read cz-75 grips will work just fine. I'm ordering a set and if you pm me I'll let you know how it works out. Let's see what responses we get from this. ;-)

Link to the grips I'll be ordering.

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=331067274956

I too have a witness elite limited full size. I have read many places that the cz full for 75 would fit. But I see you are very active in this forum so I would rather take your word for it. What about grips labeled cz and tz75 would these work? If so what are your thoughts on removing the magwell for the full grip and cutting the full grip down? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have read many places that the cz .....

You will read a lot of mis-information on the Tanfoglio platform.

Putting on and removing the magwell seems like a pain to do every time you shoot it. Plus after you put it on and take it off it won't fit as tight.

I may have some grips if you're looking for some.

Edited by Nealio

I have read many places that the cz .....

You will read a lot of mis-information on the Tanfoglio platform.

Putting on and removing the magwell seems like a pain to do every time you shoot it. Plus after you put it on and take it off it won't fit as tight.

I may have some grips if you're looking for some.

Pm sent.... Sorry about hijacking this thread.

Welcome Drkinzenbaw!

Kneelingatlas: didn't you post elsewhere that you were successful at stretching a Hogue finger-grove grip onto a large frame Tango? If correct, can you explain to us mere mortals how you did that. The Hogue is obviously made only for the small frame guns.

Welcome Drkinzenbaw!

Kneelingatlas: didn't you post elsewhere that you were successful at stretching a Hogue finger-grove grip onto a large frame Tango? If correct, can you explain to us mere mortals how you did that. The Hogue is obviously made only for the small frame guns.

Yes, I have the Hogue grips stretched around my large frame Match, the finger grooves cover up the gap between the panel and the frame, there's also some plastic which needs to be removed from the back inside of the mag well. Edited by kneelingatlas

Based on the definitions you wrote up I believe my US limited is a large frame. Since I have the elite limited in 40, I want to take off the magwell until I compete and place full length grips on it. What grips would fit with out the magwell? What general description would they be? As an example would anything related to TZ-75 work?

The reason that website is a bit of a monkey wrench is because they all look full length which makes me wonder how they classify the grips. I would think grips would be interchangeable through the Witness models. As an example ; the stock EG grips look like they would fit the elite limited but looks are deceiving. I guess I need to just start ordering grips and post results with measurements and what works and doesn't nealio has answered some of this in a pm but I guess I still don't get it

I now understand your question. If you have an EAA Limited it should indeed be large frame so stay away from anything which has TZ in the description (TZs are small framed). The Limited Pro or Stock III grips on that site are the ones you want, the Limited grips will be too short and the Match grips too long.

Depending on shipping costs you might do better asking around here for someone to sell you the stock grips from their Limited Pro or Hunter large frame.

Nope. I've been waiting on a response as well. I'm really starting to wonder.

Looks like we are limited on places to get grips. I have searched high and low. Even on googles uk site and ebays uk site.

Have you found any decent deals out there?

Thanks

Nealio has a set he's going to sell to me but those look good too. I really want thin grips of any style, not really picky. I like changing things out just to do it, I guess I get bored. I might order the EG's in silver full length per your recommendations but just can't justify $100 bucks right now.

This has been one of the most helpful forums I have ever participated in. Y'all are Great!

• 3 weeks later...

I too have fit Houge grips on my Match and love them. Like Kneelingatlas said some material has to be removed from the inside of the grips first. I found putting the screw in one panel first then heating the middle (finger groved portion between the panel) with a candle and then pulling over the the other panel. I had another person start the screw on the second panel while I held it to the streched position. This was important because my friend who tried this cross threaded the grip screw trying to do this by himself. I also shortened it to accomodate my magwell. It looks and feels amazing and is deffinately worth the work.

TheGWP:

I too recently installed Hogue finger grove grips on my large frame Match. Used the wife's hair drier to preheat the finger grove portion to stretch it around the wider grip. Always have been a fan of rubber finger grove grips. Fancy wood grips look much "cooler" but I need all the little tricks possible to stay competitive.

im interested in finding new grips for sure as well, i am kind of stuck on the Gold Team aluminum grips personally... but it looks like a lot of guys are removing these and replacing? reasons ? anyone selling a set ? will they fit a standard witness with hennings magwell?