Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load development on light bullet weights - 38Super/comp

CC712400

Sitting on a good pile of lightweight (100gr) frangible bullets (.355) and about to start loading for 38Super/comp, just looking around to see what experience people have with loading lightweight projectiles in relatively "big" cases.

What is the fastest burning powder people here are using for 38Super/comp, how about lightest bullets?

I've made 165 PF with 100gr bullets with both HS6 and SP2 (9X19), unfortunately USPSA rules don't allow you to declare Major PF with a bullet lighter than 112gr. That being said, my 100gr Open loads were awesome!

Regardless of PF fast powders will render you comp useless, I've tried fast powders with and without the comp: literally no difference in muzzle flip.

Edited by kneelingatlas

The big problem is the 100gr Frangible projectiles are the same physical size as 125gr JHP or Lead. Therefore have a long bearing surface and will occupy the same amount of case space. I agree with Service Desk, stick to light loads. Hodgdon suggest using data for a bullet 25-30% heavier as a start point (read that on AR15.com in a similar thread) that makes sense to me.

Real Fast Burners like BE will just suddenly go nuts for pressure. No warning signs with lightweight bullets, just fine, fine, bang.

Edited by gm iprod