Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR not stripping off the next round?

kimberacp

Why would the bolt not pick up the next round from the magazine????? When I load only one round, the bolt will pick that up but loading two or more the bolt will only get the first one and none others?????

I did follow someone tip on screwing in the mag latch a few turn more. I guess that was suppose to raise the magazine but I didn't notice that.

And the magazine after the last round will not hold back the bolt. That's really doesn't matter me as much as not picking up more rounds!!!!!

thanks

BTW these are reloaded rounds that am making.))))

Sounds like your load don't have enough "gas" to work the action to pick-up the next round or you are losing "gas" somewhere along the way (gas tube blocked; carrier key loose...).

Chrono your loads and compare to factory ammo of the same bullet weight.

I just had this issue. albeit with a gas piston ACR after barrel work, but the symptom is the same. It sounds like your short stroking. Only other thing I can think of at all is weak or binding mag springs or the mag not being seated High enough, either from and out of spec mag or out of spec receiver.

I would check and clean your gas system, check your ammo, check and clean your mags as well as try different ones maybe a different brand. For the gas system I have seen instances of derbies or burrs from machining being lodged in the gas port on the barrel. If it comes down to that disassemble it and clean it out with a pipe cleaner.

As others have said though you need more info. What ammo, what mags, how many rounds through the rifle, how many rounds since the last cleaning, and is your carrier staked?

Another thing with the ammo is the over all length. Not all ammo fits in the mags. Aside from reloads being incorrect, some of the Hornady A-max and Match ammo will not fit in a mag and I've had issues with some factory 75gr rounds in some mags. They don't bind at first, but when they get to the bend in the mag they stick.

• 2 weeks later...

Increase the gas for sure. Mine was doing the same thing. Also check your buffer. The JP LMOS buffers will sometimes allow the roll pin to work out then it will drag on the inside of the buffer tube and slow the bolt down. That happened to me twice and a friend had it happen at Texas MG this year.