Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti gunsmith blank for 2011 question

cheers623

Ok, I love the Infinity interchangeable triggers and have them in most of my guns. I prefer the medium flat trigger insert. However, the new ones all have to be altered and its become a PITA to alter the new production ones to fit STI frames/grips/etc. I just bought an STI gunsmith blank trigger and was wondering if its possible to machine it to the same length as the medium flat? Any experience? I don't want to file it by hand or eyeball it. I'm pretty OCD about that stuff and would prefer to have it nice and square and precisely cut to feel like the SV insert. Got some advice or know someone that does this?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers623

DVC

I've cut them back in the mill. Clamp in the vise, indicate level,and cut to desired length.

Yep, that's what I was thinking. Is there enough "clamp-able" area to get a solid purchase on and clean cuts? I guess there is. How do you hold it? The bow from the sides or the top?

Thanks,

Cheers623

Cheers-

I clamp the plastic portion of the trigger in the vise (probably give a real machinist a heart attack), with the bow pointing down, at the end of the vise. I cut it with a four flute end mill at 2000 rpm. The cut is very clean, just need the sides scraped a little.,

Hello: Lay the trigger on its side and mill to the length you want. If you plunge cut the trigger you can put serrations in it by indexing it. 1/4" diameter cutter works great for this. I wish STI sold an aluminum gunsmith blank. They do sell a very nice aluminum curved trigger now for the 2011. Thanks, Eric