Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

It's Here (625 JM)

ZackJones

The revolver I've lusted after for quite some time arrived today. I plan to use it for everything I shoot - ICORE, Steel Challenge, and USPSA. I do have a little issue with the way the grip fits the backstrap. I've sent an email to S&W support along with additional photos so they can see how it fits. I did pick up a Hogue grip for it prior to it getting here so I'll just use that until I hear back from S&W. I can't say that I'm a huge fan if the trigger. I'm used to the smooth trigger on my Model 10 so this will take some getting used to. Can this trigger be replaced with the trigger from the 625 PC model? I know it's blued and not chrome but that's not too big of a deal to me.

Given that I'm starting at the bottom (currently unclassified in USPSA) are there any must-do mods I should consider having done now instead of later? For example chamfer the cylinder or replace the gold bead with a fiber optic sight or should I forget about any of that just and just shoot it as it until I can identify something that's holding me back. I'm sure there are plenty areas of my game that can stand be improved that wouldn't cost me a cent :). FWIW I've ordered a Blade-Tech holster and North Mountain 4-post moon clip holder. Those get here tomorrow and then I should be set for the ICORE match later this month.

post-50397-0-07033400-1384389978_thumb.j

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32dmdX478eM

I would do a trigger job with an extended firing pin, chamfer the cylinder, change the front site to a fiber optic (Protocol Design) and change the grips to a Hogue Big Butt. You can remove the trigger serrations pretty easily as well. All these things make a big difference and you will enjoy the gun more.

Edited by toothguy

All the above suggestions are good and valid (in my opinion). As for trigger, now that Mike Carmoney has retired and gotten his life back :goof: Something as simple as the Jerry M DVD and Wolf trigger kit will go a long way to getting you down the road. You'll learn to work on the gun and will improve the trigger IMMENSLY. You've just entered the 'twilight zone" and are in for a lot of enjoyment. Shooting revo is it's own reward and truly not everyone is up to it. Since you're this far I suspect you'll be an addict like the rest of us. Shooting revolver is a game unto itself and can't be compared or measured against a 20 round Limited gun and it shouldn't be. It's a challenge in and of itself and a very personal pleasure. I heartily welcome you aboard. :cheers:

Ron

Old guy

D shooter - A poser

(now if I could just see the front sight ......)

Thanks Ron! I see you're in South FL so perhaps we'll meet up at a match one of these days. I'm getting back into shooting after a 10+ year break. Before I concentrated on Limited but was classified in all divisions. I agree shooting with a revolver is a totally different set of challenges, and rewards, compared to shooting limited. Plus it's easier to count to 6 than it is to 20 :). With the 625 I have a pistol that I can use for every division except single stack if I wanted to. I'll be shooting it in an ICORE match tomorrow. I can't wait to get some trigger time on it. I'm going out to the range this afternoon to shoot some rounds through it so I'll have some idea what to expect tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for the advice I do appreciate it!