Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone got/using the new Sig Max 1911?

shtr3

Just wondering if anyone has gotten one of these and started using it in single stack division. How is it running? How much do u like it? I know 45 ACP is the only model being made as of now and soon the 40 will be in production. Talked with Max himself in October and he I'd extemely pleased with the gun and current production. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I have a buddy that just bought one; been having problems with it since day one. I haven't shot it; but watched him run it at a few matches and it jams constantly; apparently from the extractor being incredibly tight. I don't know much beyond that at this point. He apparently filed down the extractor a bit, and it ran a little longer, but started jamming up again. I think he's worked on it some more, but haven't heard back yet on if it runs any better.

• 8 months later...

Know 3 people with it in .45 no problems at all. One person handicapped by missing fingers on shooting hand and except for dropping the mag after hitting the release due to how he has to hold even he really likes it.

PLEASE anyone hear anything about the 40S&W version was supposed to be out there already for the Pre-ordered(waiting a year) But nothing yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Got mine Tuesday nite

Nice overall fit and finish

First 100 rounds a few failures to feed

2nd almost problem free 1 or 2 FTF

Going tonite to put another 100 through it hopefully

drip of lube on ext extractor and now it hand cycles nicer from the magazine

Accurate = 2 inch or so at 25yds

everything is smooth when operated, like someone actually looked at it before they shipped it

It has all the EGW parts they say it has it also has the EGW ball disconnector (mine no longer is an 80 series)

Shot in a local practice match and other than FTF it handles well and I like the narrow frt sight.

Tim Herron just won the Area 3 Single Stack division, and also just recently made GM, shooting a Sig Max 1911. He said the only issue was the extractor was initially a little tight out of the box, but once he remedied that everything has been great.

Edited by JGus

Went 45 with mine for the following reasons

My 40 custom SS gun and custom limited guns have never felt smooth to me

Splits shooting alphas ONLY at 10, 15 and 20 yard drills, ME !!!!! I can't shoot the 40 any faster than the 45 (using 200gr Bayou with 4.2 WST in 40 nice load)

My go to gun has always been a 1911 45, with that said I've been shooting them for 35 + years

and last but not least I've got a lot more powder for my 45 load than my 40 load!!!!!!!

Still waiting on my 40, that said shot a Wilson Combat last night in 40 did notice a difference in recoil from the 45,might just be me and short time shooting but not very different. With the powder still hard to come by that really is the deciding factor.

Going to first level 2 match in October, and shooting SS, my original plan was the Max in 40 and the 45 as back up. Not ideal due to double ammo load but, so now a month away seriously considering getting another 1911 in .45 the Max in 45 is logical but view that right now as rewarding the dog with a bone for messing on the floor.

A little late to the party I know, but yes I have and compete in SS with a Sig Max .45. I absolutely love the gun. I did have an issue with the extractor tension being entirely too tight when I first got it. Easily remedied. I have removed the series 80 components to aid in reliability in competition, but other than that, I've literally done nothing to the pistol except shoot it. I've run approximately 8K rounds through it now as well. It's been rock solid. I'm shooting Area 4 next Friday with it in SS. The gun is easily good enough to win ANY match you shoot with it!

Tim Herron

TY68934

Edited by TimH

A little late to the party I know, but yes I have and compete in SS with a Sig Max .45. I absolutely love the gun. I did have an issue with the extractor tension being entirely too tight when I first got it. Easily remedied. I have removed the series 80 components to aid in reliability in competition, but other than that, I've literally done nothing to the pistol except shoot it. I've run approximately 8K rounds through it now as well. It's been rock solid. I'm shooting Area 4 next Friday with it in SS. The gun is easily good enough to win ANY match you shoot with it!

Tim Herron

TY68934

First Must say Congratulations on your Win. Have a P226 also can not say anything Bad or really heard anything out of the ordinary about Sigs, I find no matter what other type pistol go to and shoot the M&P Pro 40 the most in competition always seem to feel the need to use the 1911. Have one in 45 another in 9mm and The ideal would be the Max in 40 and 45 as far as practice and switching in matches, being so hard to find powders now.

Thanks so much!! Unless you shoot .40 in limited or any other division, where the same ammo can cross over to the SS gun or you are just trying to save money on components (what little extra it costs for .45), I just don't understand the infatuation with .40 in a SS pistol. I had a .40 1911 for a couple years but just didn't shoot it enough to justify keeping it. I sold it and have stuck with .45 caliber for SS. I do have a 9mm SS minor gun I'm putting together to shoot with as there are matches I see that can favor 10 rds. The .45 Max can be found just about anywhere now and it will eat any ammo you feed it. Mine hasn't been finicky at all with regards to bullet type, weight, OAL, etc.

Shot mine in a 10 stage match last weekend gun ran with out a hitch.

Accuracy is real nice. Handles well, like Tim H I've taken the 80 series stuff out other than that the gun is just the way it came.

Real happy with it

Hate to say it but the price was right so picked up the Max in 45,(40 still back ordered) very surprised not sighted in out of the box but beyond that no trouble. First 1911 with the slim grips and now plan on putting them on my others. Same as Amish getting 40 brass much easier around me.

How hard to remove the series 80 parts? I'm sure multiple links on this site.

Just pull the firing pin block and plunger spring out of the slide. As for the lever arms in the frame, you can get a frame plate from Brownells and such that replaces those two parts for like $20 or so. It'll improve the trigger quality as well

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

5 months and 2 promises of release of the 40 Max,gave up and putting in the same category as Big Foot and The Loch Ness monster :_). Seriously did pick up s Elite in 40 for the price difference can add most of the parts used in the Max, not finding any big differences from flat trigger so not replacing it. So far no problems have heard of with the 40 in a 1911.

5 months and 2 promises of release of the 40 Max,gave up and putting in the same category as Big Foot and The Loch Ness monster :_). Seriously did pick up s Elite in 40 for the price difference can add most of the parts used in the Max, not finding any big differences from flat trigger so not replacing it. So far no problems have heard of with the 40 in a 1911.

well that sucks, I feel the urge for a new gun and was hoping the .40 would be out by now

I bought a Sig Max to use in Single Stack Nationals this year. I've only put 100 rds down the pipe but you get a great gun and a lot of competition features right out of the box. It's really a very good value.