Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SX2 Practical

Caspian_45

Hi all.

I want to add another shotgun to the now crowded safe. I am looking at the SX2, but which one is the better? It would be used for Limited/Tactical and deer hunting. It must have a good sighting system for shooting slugs. I may or may not use a scope when hunting.

All advise is welcome. I think the SX2 is what I want. And where can I get one? I don't mind used. Anyone want to part with theirs?

Tony Hawkins

As far as sights go, the SX2s I've seen have an excellent setup for both slugs and shot. They are rifle sights with fiber optic inserts, and the rear folds down for when you want to hose with shot (but you probably knew this already). I'm not sure which model gets those sights, but they're about the best I've seen on a factory gun.

I agree with you that SX2 is the one we want. Skeeter's (Steve N. from AtlantaCC) SX2 is an excellent, reliable shooting tool and it cycles really fast without beating the crap out of you like a Benelli.

Thanks Rhino.

I really want to know which SX2 is the better one to get. Maybe I didn't make that clear.

You know I have one of Darrels Little Black Shotguns, they just don't get any better than that, but I want one I can use in limited/tactical division.

Hey, I just like to participate ... especially when I have no idea what I'm talking about.

The way I see it, the big difference between the two is the sights. I can't tell from the specs on their web site if there is any other functional difference.

I prefer the conventional rifle sights on the Mk I:

511016m.jpg

But if you like an aperture/ghost ring rear, then the Mk II would be the obvious choice:

511015m.jpg

You can mount a scope easily on either. I think the Mk I would work a lot better shooting shot than the Mk II, espcially if you are a trap shooter (or something similar). The taller front sight on the Mk II is going to require a different cheek weld and removing the rear is going to be more trouble than just folding the rear rifle sight on the Mk I.

It's probably a tossup for slugs.

Mk 1 for what you describe as intended use. I've used one for 3 yrs. and it just keeps running. The ghost ring is a little faster for slugs but gets in the way for flying tagets. Took both too the sporting clays range and the rifle sights ( folded down ) had about 20% more hits. If you buy new there is a break in period of around 250 rounds and frequent cleanings are a must early in its life. LOL Keith

Definitely go with the MK I. The FO is great for anything like plates poppers or clays and out to 75-100 yds I dont even flip up the rear sight. If you center the FO in the picatinny rail trough it shoots slugs to point of aim.

Now as to where to get one, I got mine from teh classifieds here and you might want to try on the USPSA classifieds. I got mine very gently used for $750.

Other than that you will probably need to order one from your favorite dealer.

Go with the Mk 1. I have that and I added LPA Ghost rings on it(the ones that are now on the MK 2). I thought that was the fastest but I am convinced they are not. The MK1 will probably be more well rounded for most scenarios although I think a rib and a bead would be the fastest.

Look on www.gunbroker.com or www.auctionarms.com or www.gunsamerica.com.

Usually you can find one there.

Thanks,

Bob

Since the Mk I was introduced, they have made an improvement on the mag tube system. The original tube was ceramic coated, while the new tube is anodized aluminum, which is much better. If you look at a used Mk I, find out what tube it has on.