Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Xtreme 147g/Titegroup out of XDM 5.25?

hukdizzle

Gents,

I have done extensive searching but haven't found an abundance of info with the components I plan on using. Was hoping to gather some more information before going into my new reloading endeavor.

XDM 5.25 9MM in ESP IDPA

Here is what I have worked up for my potential load

Bullet: Xtreme 147g RN Plated

Powder: 3.3g Titegroup

Primer: Federal Match Small Pistol

OAL - 1.15"

I am looking to get around 130-132PF but this will be determined with ladder chrono testing at 3.3/3/4/3.5 grains etc. I am going to be using a Lee Pro Auto Disk to throw my powder and unfortunately the lowest charge that it will throw is around .28cc which equates to 3.3g of powder(theoretical at this point, I don't have it yet to actually do charge testing). Any issues with cycling at these powder factors by chance? Should I drop a 16lb or 14lb recoil spring with a lighter striker spring into the gun?

Thanks for the help,

-Curtis

Gents,

XDM 5.25 9MM in ESP IDPA

Here is what I have worked up for my potential load

Bullet: Xtreme 147g RN Plated

Powder: 3.3g Titegroup

Primer: Federal Match Small Pistol

OAL - 1.15"

-Curtis

Hi,

I can't speak to an XDM, but I'm working up loads for a Glock 34 (noted for finicky cycling) and titegroup. I spent hours on this and several sites, and constructed a spread sheet of various folks loads using titegroup and N320 with various bullets. Like you I found little documentation of Xtreme. In one of the threads someone asserted that RMR was actually a re-seller of Xtreme, so I logged RMR and Xtreme data as the same.

DISCLAIMER: I am a VERY NEW hand loader.

I can't chrony in my indoor range, so for now, I'm going by accuracy, primer inspection and feel when I shoot.

First range outing:

3.2g TG over 147 Xtreme plated 1.15 OAL 10 rounds

3.3g TG over 147 Xtreme plated 1.15 OAL 10 rounds

These shot almost identical, with one possible tumble on the 3.3g. Primer's looked perfect. . . Based on this, I figured there was no sense going to 3.3.

Second range outing I shot 50 rounds of the 3.2g recipe above. Nothing wrong, but I wasn't really happy with the grouping. I'm not an excellent shot, but I seemed to shoot the 124gr Aquila factory stuff better (maybe my gun just likes 124 gr????).

Third range outing:

10 rounds 3.2gr TG over 147 Xtreme 1.16 OAL.

I loosened my Lee factory crimp die to 2/3's turn (instead of half), and increased my OAL to 1.16. This tightened up my group by 1/3-1/2 of what it was. Very happy with the improvement.

I'm trying to think through what my next step might be. Make up 50-100 and shoot away? Go to 1.165 OAL?...

With regards to the Lee Pro Auto Disk. Get the adjustable charge bar (http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision-Adjustable-Charge-Bar/dp/B00162RPDG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383799360&sr=8-1&keywords=lee+charge+bar). Before using it, get some cold weld stuff and fill in the end of the cavity. As distributed the charge bar doesn't throw small loads certain powders (3.2gr of TG) well. By filling in 3/16-1/4 of the cavity at the end, you move the cavity back so that it centers under the powder disk better, and get a better drop. Search this and other forum's and you find documentation on this and pictures. Most use paper, I just find the cold weld a more permanent adjustment. It will totally throw off any documented dial adjustments, and any charts that Lee has. After you do that, you'll need to adjust and weigh until you know what dial position throws what powder load. I can throw very consistent loads of 3.2gr with generally a .05 or less tolerance and the occasional .1 tolerance This means 90+ percent of my loads are 3.2gr, 8-9% are 3.2gr +- .05 and 1-2% are 3.2gr+- .1gr. I can live with that. (remember my disclaimer above).

I'm also going through the same exercise with 124gr FMJ's (Winchester I think), on the theory that my gun likes 124gr.

• 10 months later...

I'm aware this is an old thread, but I'm working on Xtreme 147rn and TG recipe. Testing OAL in a couple barrels shows that even at 1.19 OAL, the dry rounds fit well. I reduced OAL to 1.18 to be on the safe side. Trying TG from 3 through 3.3, and a crimp of .377. The bullet appears to have a more secant ogive compared to the 124s I checked. I was a little concerned about using an OAL of 1.18, but it feeds in the mags well, and fits the barrels well.

I too am working on this and took it to the range today w/ my G34 and saw a couple of keyholes. I HATE keyholing...does anyone not? Not many, just a couple out of maybe 30 or so, but one is one too many. What produces keyholing? Too slow a velocity in too slow a twist barrel, as I know it does in rifles? How do I remedy this? I too am using the 3.2-3.3 ish TG and 1.145 OAL.

Edited by yellowfin

Dunno about the keyholing, but your OAL could be a little on the short side for that bullet. Did you check it with the barrel? 3gr cycled properly and had good groups. Best groups were with 3.3gr. Rounds set at 1.18 OAL and .377 crimp. Going to try little more charge weight to see if there's an improvement, then once that's done, I'll mess with OAL and crimp.

.377 is the crimp I put on the case with the Lee factory case crimper. May not be absolutely precise, but close. I noticed messing around with the crimp on .45 resulted in different points of impact and group sizes. The Lee crimper is more consistent than the feature offered in some seating dies.

They fit at 1.19. I reduced to 1.18 to make sure they feed well. I checked mags and barrels. Tested at 1.18 and they fed and functioned at 3gr titegroup through 3.3. Some of the reviews I saw for the Xtreme 147s said to try them on the long side. I'll try at .01 increments of shorter OAL to see how things go with 3.3gr TG.

I too am working on this and took it to the range today w/ my G34 and saw a couple of keyholes. I HATE keyholing...does anyone not? Not many, just a couple out of maybe 30 or so, but one is one too many. What produces keyholing? Too slow a velocity in too slow a twist barrel, as I know it does in rifles? How do I remedy this? I too am using the 3.2-3.3 ish TG and 1.145 OAL.

back off your crimp, pull bullet and make sure there is no crimp impression on the bullet.

Do a squeeze test Make sure rounds don't set back.

Don't worry about the physical measurement.

use caution loading long in XD. Bullet tip catches in mag release hole.

There is no need to load them to 1.19 if they are being shot through a plastic gun. A 1911 9mm maybe as they were not designed for the 1911.

just use the standard of 1.15 and they should work fine in any 9mm. .377/.378 crimp should work fine in any 9mm. its what i set mine at. once you go past .380 things get iffy in guns with tight chambers.