Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Super 1050 primer Kaboom causes?

My wife insists on Fed SPP in her 40 loads. I don't even try to suggest anything else anymore... :blush:

When I load her ammo I make sure the entire primer feeding area is cleaned and void of powder and primer compound from other crushings, put everything back together, put on my safety glasses, move the light-on-an-arm to a safe place, and start loading. My detonation average is about once ever other 1k rounds, and it still scares the crap outa me even thou I am expecting it. Have yet to detonate the entire primer tube, (knocking on wood feverishly!) I am NOT looking forward to that day... :)

jj

Dang, how hard/fast do you go?

I havent really been using anything but Fed SPP for the last 20 years on a few different 650s and I have yet to set one off. I have mangled some of the primers pretty darn good when trying to squeeze them into a crimped WCC case, but still no bangs.

Maybe I've just been lucky, but one every few k just doesnt sound right.

The only primer I've set off on accident was a couple of months ago when I dropped a wrench on the ground and it apparently hit a live primer that I must have dropped at some point. :)

Edited by gose

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had my first primer detonation last night!!

I have been loading on a 550 since 1994 without ever detonating a primer. Decided to step up to a 1050 because the priming on the down stroke is easier on my bad shoulder and for the swaging station. I have less than 1000 rounds on my 1050 and BAAANG! It’s a real eye opener! I was loading 9mm WCC brass and Tula primers. As it came from Dillon it did not like the WCC brass and was smashing and jamming on the priming station. After adjusting the swaging station it was running smooth and decided to load up a couple hundred for Sundays match. I was 30 rounds into my run when bang! If this happensvery often I will need to figure new underwear into my loading costs!