Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

another cracked slide... number 2 for me

Mat Price

Gerald you jinxed me you son of a gun I have the worst luck with slides. This makes 3. I can understand the first two. Given the round count on them. But this one... After only 8000 rounds my 9 major slide that I had rebuilt last year cracked. It's not a power factor thing. As I usually only shoot around 150 pf in practice and bump up to 170 for matches. This gun was set up with a 10 lb spring and aluminum shock buffer...

20140417_193330.jpg

20140417_193348.jpg

20140417_193343.jpg

I'm really starting to think these guns just can't handle the abuse of 9 major

Edited by Mat Price

Hello: My 9mm major gun has over 20,000 rounds and still runs great. So 9mm major is not the problem. I don't use shock buffs and check the spring for coil bind. I am running a 9lb recoil spring with no issues. I am not sure what is going on with your gun but after 3 slides there is something not correct. Thanks, Eric

Eric this is the second slide on this gun. The other was my super comp slide that had almost 60k rounds on it many of which was at the old 180 power factor

The first 9 major slide had around 55k

Fir this slide to break so soon I just don't know.

However this time I'm going to have a new barrel fit also.

Sti will warranty to slide so that

Is some relief.

The thing is the slides are not breaking in the same place

So I'm wondering if I was just unlucky enough to get two bad slides

Hello: There must be something in the water there that is cracking the slides. 50,000 rounds is good service life for an open gun slide and barrel at the higher power factor. Your last slide is where I have seen most of them crack unless they have been lightened alot. Then it's the other side. Not sure if it is bad heat treatment or bad materials? Thanks, Eric

• 2 months later...

Just cracked my 2nd STI slide as well within 18 months. Both were front left corner of ejection port and had approximately 30k rounds each. The first was a stock Trubor and my replacement slide they sent was a gunsmith blank my G.S. put on for me. They said they'll warranty as long as not under 9oz. Trubor was 9.5 and the latest one was 10.5oz. I believe bad material or poor heat treatment. 8# and 9# Wolff spring and 17# main spring. One was 9 major and the other was 38SC both using Autocomp powder at 172pf. I know a few people in the TX and LA area having same problem so switching to Caspian on my 2 new competition open guns we're building now.

Just as an update. I have talked to several name smith's and they are seeing lots of cracked slides in not just open guns but limited also.

They are starting to think it is a fundamental issue with how they are being cut. As in maybe the bit rpm is to fast or pass speed.. Even the way the slides it mounted for cutting is suspect...

This is all conjecture on their part but maybe we will see some improvements in the future for cut slides and durability

• 1 year later...

Anyone continue to shoot a cracked slide? Noticed that an old open gun of mine had a cracked slide, and I wonder how long I shot it that way without noticing it.

post-25366-0-11607100-1429049693_thumb.j
Edited by redfisher

STI slides don't hold up in either Limited or Open. They should last longer, but on the same note , we are racing !!!!!!!!!! I have had Caspians last a very long time, and that is after they have been cut to weigh less. Don't know the longevity on the CK slides.