Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What can be done to inprove National level matches

shootingchef

So as not to kill the Production discussion, lets put some ideas, suggestions and paths to improvement here. I'd be more than happy to send a compliation to HQ. Lets be civil and polite as we try to suggest ways and methods to improve our Nationals. This is not about the sport in general, but about the matches called Nationals. Let another thread be created for the sport.

1. Do away with the slot format, its a match, the slot format is worthless when the matches don't sell out. Takes too much time from other more important task.

2. Have a media plan, There was not a FB page till after Ken Nelson started it for St. Georges Match. Where is national exposure to Vendors, Media outlets, wire reports. IDPA is killing USPSA in this area. I get tons of notices about IDPA and 3 gun achivements at the national level, barely anything on USPSA.

3. What was the international headcount to the Nationals? It would seem there are more international members at The Florida Open.

4. More pomp and pizazz, this is the big show, make it the big show! 2 vendors...

Terrific idea, Chef.

Without knowing the effort and the work that went into the event-planning, my comments may not be sufficiently apropos. Nonetheless, here it is. Not in any particular order.

1. Formalized event objectives (yes; more than just a "big" match for shooters)

- media exposure

- sponsors experience

- participant experience

- etc.

2. Event/strategic planning

- Timeline/gantt (announcements, hotel,stage-designs, ...)

- Resource requirement (stage-designs, props, volunteers)

- Ad hoc council? (industry players, PR firms,...)

Edited by justaute

1. Do away with the slot format, its a match, the slot format is worthless when the matches don't sell out. Takes too much time from other more important task.

I don't think we should completely do away with the slots. But I do think that at some point the match should become an "open" entry match. Use the slots to make sure those who have earned entry to the Nationals have a locked opportunity, then open the match for the rest of us.

I don't think we should completely do away with the slots. But I do think that at some point the match should become an "open" entry match. Use the slots to make sure those who have earned entry to the Nationals have a locked opportunity, then open the match for the rest of us.

we do this already the wait list

Tulsa, while home to the great JJ Cale, can be difficult to get to from some areas of the country. The range is excellent, but Nationals in Tulsa have had a difficult problem with weather in the past. Obviously, from some point of view, Tulsa is a desirable place to live-it's a big city. Maybe this year was just abnormal up and down for matches. Some shooters shot 4 National matches in the space of four weeks-kind of wearing in the long run. It's hard to schedule too far in advance-like a five year plan, because it is. Some summer Nationals in climate friendly summer states would be great. But you got to have the range that can handle it, the personnel to manage it, -it's difficult. None of this is easy and sometimes I wonder how we pull them off at all.

we do this already the wait list

Thank you for stating the obvious. I was thinking the exact same thing.