Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading for .50 BMG

cworks

Can someone point me in the right direction on what to get? The Lee press seems to be a decent buy. Other than dies what special equipment is needed? I have also read about "sizing" pulled surplus projectiles. what equipment will accomplish this?

The Lee setup worked just fine for me and is LOTS cheaper than the others. Dies can be had from them too. I really liked the press, actually! One warning - the supplied Lee case lube is water based and will rust the livin' hell out of your dies if not immediately removed after you're done. Ask me how I know ...

Pulled bullets are from ammo that's been de-milled, usually by cutting a slot in the case neck. This leaves a gash on the side of the bullet and often distorts them out-of-round. Resizing them makes them round again. Do not shoot unsized demil bullets. Lee size dies are designed to size lead bullets but some have used a .510 Lee sizer for BMG bullets. I have not tried it.

Go over to Tom Bowers' site, biggerhammer for all the 50 discussions.

Mark

Ok so the .50 I am looking at is a mag fed bolt action, that in mind here is what I'm tracking I need to reload:

-Press

-Full length size and decapping die with good lub

-Something to swage the primer pockets (is a uniformer the same or better than swaging?)

-trimmer of some sort

-chamfer and debur (is there a special one for .50 or will the universal ones work)

-something the throw powder

-seat and crimp die (never used a combo die but seems cheaper to go that route)

-bullet sizing die

what am i missing?

a scale if you don't already have one.

As far as thrown powder charges, I used a regular RCBS powder measure and set it for half the charge I wanted and threw twice (220 grain charge, set for 110 ...)

Mark

Here is what I got when I started loading .50. The Lee "Classic Loader 50 BMG set" comes with press and dies (sizer,seater, and crimp. The Lee 50 BMG trimmer setup, a CH4D Swager (mounts on the press), and a RCBS 1500 Powder unit (throws the weight of powder you set it for).

Brian

-Something to swage the primer pockets (is a uniformer the same or better than swaging?)

A uniformer will not remove crimps to my knowledge. Seems that everybody who makes a uniformer also makes a pocket reamer or crimp remover. At least in the little stuff.

can anyone point me to a 50 bmg fourm that I dont have to pay to be a member of?

Also I believe I have gotten my hands on some blemished 750gr a-max projectiles. Anybody have an idea of what these marks are on the ogive?

post-34074-0-55388500-1383204183_thumb.j

Edited by cworks

That's what I though too, but I looked at some of my "new" in the box bullets and the have very similar markings. They are not as deep an look more like scuff marks. Possibly form manufacturing? The far bullet in the picture is the new one.