Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Timing between "Are you ready?" and "Standby"

DRosen

I think the correct answer is "it depends"

Most experienced shooters are pretty easy to run if you just watch them. Even if they have a long drawn out process and test their grip on the gun 15 times, if you watch them you can see when they are ready. They get in position and get still. Some will even nod their head to let you know. For them AYR and SB are pretty darn close together.

For the other folks that are very quick, or in general make it hard to figure out I use a longer pause.

Just as a suggestion do get in the habit of giving the shooter at least the full 1 second between SB and the Beep. I try to be in the 2 - 3 second range. I hate a SB Beep back to back.

About 2 seconds and then I do 1 - 3 secs for the start signal and vary it for every shooter, so as not to be predictable. Some jump the gun and I start them again.

Edited by RePete

My technique is pretty much the same as everyone else, too. As a shooter, I rest my hand on the grip until I am ready, making it easier for the RO to know I'm ready. As an RO, I take the 1 second period between AYR and SB to quickly scan left and right of course to make sure no looky-loos are creeping forward towards the shooting area. The time it takes for me to make that quick scan tends to be a perfect pause as well as a last chance safety check of the stage.

• 1 month later...

I've not been an RO as long as many here, but that AYR to Standby time needs to consider a few things IMHO.

1. Is the shooter stopped, unmoving?

2. Have you verified he/she is in the right starting position and not changed from AYR to standby?

3. Did the shooter say I'm ready before you even ask?

Scenarios:

Some shooters I've recently run have this process.

MAKE Ready..

Shooter draws get sight picture, loads and holsters.

Gets in ready position and then quickly says I'm ready.

The AYR and standby are 1 second pause separations..

MAKE Ready

Shooter draws, more than once, sight picture, loads holsters

Practices hand motions, then goals totally still.

AYR pause no response for 2 seconds then Standby!

Stand in a position where you can see their draw (strong) hand and notice any hint that may show not ready.

Some shooters will keep a hand on the grip until they are ready...

One shooter actually told me that would ready when he removed his hand.

The more critical command that shooters will complain about in my opinion is the standby to BEEP!

That is 1-4 seconds per rule 8.3.3

I always say "Are You Ready"..watch for a nod or a negative movement, take a quick sweep of the visible range, probably 1 to 2 seconds max, "Stand By"...hard focus on the competitor and 3-5 seconds later "Beep". Don't get in the habit of doing a quick buzzer or waiting too long. The trick from that point on is to stay within arms length of the competitor and not interfere with them.

Glad to see another taking the plunge! Welcome to the ranks of the over worked and under appreciated. :cheers:

Edited by pskys2

The beep should come no later than 4 seconds after standby. I know it says should, but 5 seconds is a long time while waiting for the beep.

8.3.3 “Standby” – This command should be followed by the start signal within 1 to 4 seconds.