Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G34 Mag Release

saibot

Any tips on getting the mag release on a Gen4 G34 to work better? I shoot in Production and I don't think I can add an extended mag release, but not sure about that.

My hands are just too small to reliably nail the mag release. Can I work on the internal mechanism to have it work a little easier? Anyone do that?

Thanks, all.

I think the G34 comes with the extended mag release. I purchased the Larry Vicker's glock mag release, but it worked too well. I started dropping mags prematurely. You will have to rotate the gun slightly to get a full thumb on it.. With some practice it will become easy. Armor All the inside of the mag well. Practice, practice, practice!

Any tips on getting the mag release on a Gen4 G34 to work better? I shoot in Production and I don't think I can add an extended mag release, but not sure about that.

My hands are just too small to reliably nail the mag release. Can I work on the internal mechanism to have it work a little easier? Anyone do that?

Thanks, all.

I am quite sure you could do something. If you can get the mag release out, you could very lightly sand it with some super fine paper. Try to only remove a little material where the wear is. You could also try putting a drop of light oil inside the mag release, and see if that helps. You could also just push the button a million times, and maybe that will smooth things out, especially on a new gun.

Edited by Sean Gaines

I was hoping that it would loosen up a bit with use, but I've hit it hundreds of times in dry fire already and it's not getting any better. I think I'll try to pull the button and see if I detect any wear areas, and if so might smooth them out or remove a little bit of material. May slightly tweak the spring and see where that gets me.

Dryfiring last night I notice one of my mags was always causing me trouble so I took it out of circulation. I can't detect a difference visually, but to get it to drop I have to really mash the button all of the way into the gun.

Thanks, guys!

From NROI:

An external part which extends only the length of the magazine-release button is specifically allowed in section 21.6 of the 2009 interpretation, whether the part is OEM or aftermarket. If the part provides a larger surface area (a big head, a button, a paddle, etc) or is different than the original part in any dimension other than length, the part is only permitted if it is an OEM part available on an approved model of gun.

Note that an internal modification to a magazine-release mechanism which results in shifting the magazine-release laterally (i.e., making the part stick out further on one side of the gun) would be considered an "internal modification", and is allowed.

Also note that parts from "custom shop" guns are only considered "OEM parts" if the "custom shop" model is on the NROI list of approved guns. If NROI has not certified the "custom shop" gun for USPSA Production Division, using a custom-shop part may be an "external modification", resulting in a "new/unapproved model" which would be illegal for USPSA Production Division. Contact NROI for an official ruling before switching to the new part.

From NROI:

An external part which extends only the length of the magazine-release button is specifically allowed in section 21.6 of the 2009 interpretation, whether the part is OEM or aftermarket. If the part provides a larger surface area (a big head, a button, a paddle, etc) or is different than the original part in any dimension other than length, the part is only permitted if it is an OEM part available on an approved model of gun.

Note that an internal modification to a magazine-release mechanism which results in shifting the magazine-release laterally (i.e., making the part stick out further on one side of the gun) would be considered an "internal modification", and is allowed.

Also note that parts from "custom shop" guns are only considered "OEM parts" if the "custom shop" model is on the NROI list of approved guns. If NROI has not certified the "custom shop" gun for USPSA Production Division, using a custom-shop part may be an "external modification", resulting in a "new/unapproved model" which would be illegal for USPSA Production Division. Contact NROI for an official ruling before switching to the new part.

Vluc-

Hmmm... So would an OEM Glock extended mag release be Production legal then? Seems like it would be.

Thanks!

From NROI:

Vluc-

Hmmm... So would an OEM Glock extended mag release be Production legal then? Seems like it would be.

Thanks!

On a Glock 34 the extended OEM mag release is Production Legal

Try switching the release and using your trigger finger.

Seriously- dont laugh.

I am a southpaw, and use the mag release on all my pistols as they come from the factory, which means installed for a righty,

Works for me.

Caveat - I learned that way because I can pick up any pistol and chance are, it is set up for a righty. My muscle memory is trained for it.

If you train for a reversed mag release, and you are right handed, you may be placing yourself at a disadvantge or worse.

On second thought, it's a bad idea.

Edited by widefat