Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

165 grain major load

SSGJohnV

Hello all,

I shoot a .45 1911 in L10 and load to major for that, but I just recently bought a Para P16-40 and would like to know my best bet for making major with the powder I have available. I found a good deal on some Rainier 165 grain HP's so I'll be starting off with those, but I live in Alaska so my powder selection is basically what I can snag at the local shops before the hoard of others get to it.

So, using the powders I have listed, where should I start to get a major load with 165 grain plated?

Powders I have:

Clays

3N37

Unique

Red dot

Zip

Longshot

Primers are CCI SPM and SP, Winchester SR, and Winchester SP

I already plan on loading long as the gun will most likely benefit from it and it will help me stay away from over pressure rounds. Thanks for the help.

-John

Edited by SSGJohnV

Clays might be the best choice with that bullet weight and fresh cases and depending on overall cartridge length, but I'd also order some Win. WST or V V- N320 via mailorder/internet and test them in your pistol on a chrono at the temperatures that you plan to shoot those loads at.

That's just the thing, about the powder. Hazmat fees to Alaska, because it cannot be shipped through Canada, are up the yin-yang. We get all of our hazmat through barges once, maybe twice a week. The powder and primer shortage hit us especcially hard up here in the Frozen North. I have heard everyone talk about N320, and while I am a frugal guy and try to stay away from VV if I can avoid it, I will look into it and try to snag some from a buddy to try it out.

WST, N320, Power Pistol, and W-231 are all on my short list of powders I need to replenish.

That's just the thing, about the powder. Hazmat fees to Alaska, because it cannot be shipped through Canada, are up the yin-yang. We get all of our hazmat through barges once, maybe twice a week. The powder and primer shortage hit us especcially hard up here in the Frozen North. I have heard everyone talk about N320, and while I am a frugal guy and try to stay away from VV if I can avoid it, I will look into it and try to snag some from a buddy to try it out.

WST, N320, Power Pistol, and W-231 are all on my short list of powders I need to replenish.

Talk to some other reloaders up there and order four 8 pound jugs all at once from some place like Powder Valley. That will spread the haz-mat surcharge over a lot more powder. While expensive all at once, an eight pound jug of WST lasts me over 11,000 loads.

• 3 weeks later...