Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flake powder measuring poorly in Dillon powder measure?

I'm using Vectan powder for my 9mm. Mainly because it's cheap and I couldn't get any Vihtavouri at the time of purchase. The only problem is that it measures very poorly in my powder measure on my 1050. My load is 4.2gr. When ever the amount of powder looks suspiciously low I remove the case and weigh it. I find some that are as low as 2.8-3.2gr which is a lot of deviation even for practice ammo. I make sure that the spring on the fail safe rod is half-way compressed, as I've read on the forum it is supposed to be. I don't have the problem with other powders so I know the powder measure isn't broken.

Would it help to polish the bottom of the powder container?

Here is what the powder looks like.

Any ideas?

post-21576-0-96929400-1380478105_thumb.j

Problem is that you're using green powder, which obviously isn't ripe yet. I'd let it sit on the shelf for a while and see if it gets better. In the meantime find something different.

Seriously though, if you search the forum you'll find several different threads on flake powder measuring poorly in Dillon powder measures. I can't help to think that your problem might be exasperated by the shape (square???) of your flakes. Might be hanging up in the measure-too many damn angles!!!

I use Hodgdon, Winchester or Alliant powders and the following flake powders have provided excellent metering from my Dillon 550:
HS-700X

Promo

American Select

Clays

Universal

the only flake powder which metered poorly for me was HS-800X.

In all cases with flake powders it takes ca 5 to 10 drops for the weight to stabilize - after that the drop is dead on or within less than 0.1 gr.

More likely you are not fully activating the powder bar is all. The powder bar should go full travel well before the handle bottoms out on the down stroke. Cases should flare at least .010-.020". Be sure the failsafe rod has the blue wing nut tight enough. To test, push the handle forward as if seating a primer and hold it there. Now, tighten the blue wing nut until the coil spring above it is partially compressed. This ensures the powder bar is fully retracted to pick up the next powder charge. Finally, if your powder measure is the newer style with two bellcranks, be sure the rod goes into the oval hole in the rear link, and comes out the round hole in the front link.

What Vectan powder is that one?. I also reload 9 mm (on a Lee Classic Turret with adjustable charge bar, though) and I'm using Vectan BA9 for reasons similar to yours, availability and price.

As far as as I know, BA9 measures very well on most powder measures. It has other issues, like being kind of dirty and inconsistencies in the burn rate from one batch to another, which makes the use of a chronograph mandatory if you want to stay within power factor.