Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotshell reloading- is it worth it?

Naka16

Will you save money? Not likely.

That being said I am loading a nice consistent once and an 1/8 reclaim shot load for just over 4$ per box.

the bigger benefit is the ability tune the load to the game. You can still load an ounce shot for about the same and tune your powder selection and charge to your shotgun.

We are still loading on mec 600 loader that we bought used for under 100 $.

Heck I have an old pacific DL105 I would sell of you want to give it a try for very little money. Toss me a PM and we can talk about the loader offline.

Retread

Agreed, if you are loading 12 or 20 gauge it is hardly worth it unless you just have the desire to tinker with your load or a sitting on a pallet of lead shot and just don't know what to do with it.

It made a lot more sense back when lead ran 10-15 bucks a bag and WinAA /Remington/Feds were 4 to 6 bucks a box as you could reload for $2.50 or less per box.
However, if you are loading for .410, 16ga. or 28 ga, then reloading might be the only realistic way to afford to shoot them in any real quantity.

FYI - Once a year Winchester has a $2 per box rebate and is a good time to stock up on the good stuff.

http://www.winchester.com/library/special-offers/Pages/2013-aa-promotion.aspx

This year the availability of 12ga during the rebate period was not good, but it is something to keep in mind for next year.

Will you save money? Not likely. That being said I am loading a nice consistent once and an 1/8 reclaim shot load for just over 4$ per box. the bigger benefit is the ability tune the load to the game. You can still load an ounce shot for about the same and tune your powder selection and charge to your shotgun. We are still loading on mec 600 loader that we bought used for under 100 $. Heck I have an old pacific DL105 I would sell of you want to give it a try for very little money. Toss me a PM and we can talk about the loader offline.Retread

Never heard of pacific. I'm assuming its a single stage?

Agreed, if you are loading 12 or 20 gauge it is hardly worth it unless you just have the desire to tinker with your load or a sitting on a pallet of lead shot and just don't know what to do with it.

It made a lot more sense back when lead ran 10-15 bucks a bag and WinAA /Remington/Feds were 4 to 6 bucks a box as you could reload for $2.50 or less per box.

However, if you are loading for .410, 16ga. or 28 ga, then reloading might be the only realistic way to afford to shoot them in any real quantity.

FYI - Once a year Winchester has a $2 per box rebate and is a good time to stock up on the good stuff.

http://www.winchester.com/library/special-offers/Pages/2013-aa-promotion.aspx

This year the availability of 12ga during the rebate period was not good, but it is something to keep in mind for next year.

I should have stocked up on some 20ga during that promotion as the supply was good.

I noticed that lead is up to around $50 for a 25 lb bag now, powder and primers are hard to come by. Will I gain any consistency over AA or the Remington STS by reloading?

Will you save money? Not likely. That being said I am loading a nice consistent once and an 1/8 reclaim shot load for just over 4$ per box. the bigger benefit is the ability tune the load to the game. You can still load an ounce shot for about the same and tune your powder selection and charge to your shotgun. We are still loading on mec 600 loader that we bought used for under 100 $. Heck I have an old pacific DL105 I would sell of you want to give it a try for very little money. Toss me a PM and we can talk about the loader offline.Retread

Never heard of pacific. I'm assuming its a single stage?

You have never heard of it because they went out of business long ago. Bushings and wad guides are still available from hornaday who bought the company.

If you are going to compete consistency will be beneficial but if you are just having fun the cheap shell route is the easiest way.

Retread.

i reload 12 ga. but i make my own shot. i bought a James Stewart shot maker. it makes about 80 lbs an hour and i buy the lead from a local guy for .75 per pound. i load 1 1/8 oz of shot with 19gr of clays and it gives me 1225 fps. if you want to soup it up a little you can use 33.5gr of longshot and push 1 1/8 oz at 1500 fps but the recoil is a little stronger.

• 3 weeks later...

Naka16, you will most likely gain some consistency by reloading at least I did when I cronoed my reloads and softer recoil. Better patterns too. If you want more in depth explanations pm me. I've been reloading 12ga through 410 for about 10 years. That doesn't mean I know anything but I'll give you all the info that I got

• 2 weeks later...

Naka16, you will most likely gain some consistency by reloading at least I did when I cronoed my reloads and softer recoil. Better patterns too. If you want more in depth explanations pm me. I've been reloading 12ga through 410 for about 10 years. That doesn't mean I know anything but I'll give you all the info that I got

Thanks man, if I do get the press, I will on you for sure

WOW! Glad I got out of trap long ago. When Magnum shot was $13 a bag.

How long ago was this?

long time ago. Probably mid 80's or so. Even then if you found a real good deal on AA's in bulk, reloading shotgun was barely worth it.