Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

infinity Sight tracker - caliber change question.

400driver

Am in Spain and the main dealer has just received some pre specified SVI guns. They were selected by the Spanish national champion so I guess they are a good start.

My question is , they come with all the parts for a change from .40 to 9mm but how long does it take to switch between the two calibers? I will mainly use it in 9mm but will compete in .40. I am by no means an expert and have fairly limited experience working on my guns apart from full detail stripping etc. Is it a job that I can do to change barrels, breach face, extractor etc?

Thanks for any pointers.

I would think the whole slide assembly would have to be swapped out. If that's the case shouldn't be too bad. If you retain the same slide I would imagine it would be a complete barrel assembly along with slide spring, probably extractor and maybe slide stop. Did you see what extra parts there were for the swap. Knowing what they are would make it a whole lot easier to advise. Gabe

The parts I believe are

Barrel

Breech face

Extractor

Spring guide.

The slide is the same as it's a sight tracker.

They are charging an arm and a leg for the parts-$ 1352 for the above and one magazine.

The basic gun in either caliber is $5273 and then the $1352 for the change.

It's a lot of cash and I'm wondering if I should just get an STI Apeiro in 40 and pocket the change, it being $3650 here in Spain.

Edited by 400driver

I would think a barrel would be included in the parts too. SVI's are super guns, and I've shot one, but I would save my money and get the Apiero, I really like mine. If your determined on the SVI though that's what i'd go for. Good luck.

My idea was to use it for the weekly IPSC practice using 9mm and then for the occasional competition put in the .40 pieces. It's a lot of money to spend on a setup that may only get used a few times per year, perhaps I should just stick with .40 and use the 13$$ bucks to subsidise the more expensive reloading costs.

Personal preference, go with two complete guns. Build or buy what you can afford. Something goes wrong with the bottom end and neither top-end will do you any good. Went the route of two top ends, and eventually I had a bottom end built to make two complete guns.

Just did the maths on the price they are charging in Spain for the parts needed to change from .40- 9mm, in the US they run 550$ including the mag, here...over 1300$. I am in America every month so will just order the barrel, extractor and breech face while I am there and pay for them to fit it here in Spain.

40 S&W with the price of 5200$ for just the one gun, a 2nd risks divorce! Also my licence only permits me to have 6 weapons, this will be number five and i want to get another shotgun also, so these parts will have to do.

If you can detail strip an SV pistol then you can change it from 9 to 40.

Insert an Allen wrench in the firing pin tunnel and unscrew the Allen screw that holds the breechface. Install the other breechface, barrel, extractor, ejector and recoil spring. You might want to put a little blue loctite on the breechface screw to make sure it doesn't loosen.

It takes me about 15 minutes to change mine.

Don B

As I am buying the pistol in 40 s&w and will buy a separate barrel at a later date! does this new barrel need to be specially fitted initially by a gun smith or is it a question of just removing and replacing?

Thanks