Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Edge interchangeability?

jimbullet

I've got an STI Edge 40 cal. I am wanting an STI Edge in 9mm and just occurred to me that both of these pistols are almost identical. So is it possible to just swap the top half and get them going on the other frame?

Ejector will probably be different between 40 and 9mm.

I would bet that the fit won't be exactly right with both of them. They are nearly identical, but if one is .001 too tight, then it may as well be a glock slide. it won't work.

Buy the parts and haver a smith fit you a new top end. It isn't a really big deal. I probably have less than $1K in the second slide. I have an edge that has been chopped on and a 9mm slide built for it as well. I probably have more in the gun than I'll ever get back, but it is exactly what I want.

I have an Edge in 40, had my local gunsmith fit a 9mm bull barrel and put in an Aftac extractor, instant 9mm 3 gun pistol.

Retains the ability to switch back if need be (switching the extractor is a pain so you won't be doing it often). Shot it in on match with no hickups and in several practice sessions without a problem.

My 2 cents.

Have another top end built for the gun, in the short run it cheaper. In the long run it's better to have complete pistols. I have done both, and finally am having all complete guns. Never had any problems with the top ends that I had built. When your ready just have bottom ends built and the top end fitted.

I have an Eagle that was originally chambered in .40SW that I had a 9mm top end built for it. The original ejector (.40SW) can be used for either top end. The 9mm top end needed a new slide, barrel, bushing, firing pin, FPS, sights, guide rod, and extractor. The idea was to be able to pop the slide stop out, remove one top end and slide the other one on. My gunsmith fit the 9mm slide to the frame, and I haven't noticed any issues with the gun wearing differently between the two top ends (or maybe I should say: yet).

I still use the Eagle configured in .40SW as a backup gun when I shoot Limited at a major match, but the majority of the time it wears the 9mm top end to shoot 3-gun, Steel Challenge, and a little IDPA (whenever major PF is not needed).

I have an Edge in 40, had my local gunsmith fit a 9mm bull barrel and put in an Aftac extractor, instant 9mm 3 gun pistol.

Retains the ability to switch back if need be (switching the extractor is a pain so you won't be doing it often). Shot it in on match with no hickups and in several practice sessions without a problem.

My 2 cents.

So you are shooting 9mm in a 40 slide? Different breech face, or same?