Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry Fire. Working on movement.

Chuckie45

Here's clips from my dry fire session today. I'm currently a C Class shooter and average a HF of 5 on field courses. I'm working on improving my HF by shooting as I enter/leave a static position and shooting on the move. Any tips would be great.

Lateral shooting areas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA4meg-p3Hg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUFu02QxlFU

Movement to forward box:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHNQuYer-j8

Entering Shooting area, toes on marks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZuMiZ1Suwk

Entering Shooting area, 3 steps out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6sEVkEvC4Q

6 to the Upper A/B while advancing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGN-K6Dqv5U

Edited by Chuckie45

I hope you take this constructively, but what you're doing looks unsafe.

You appear to be practicing dry fire with a real handgun while using an inadequate backstop.

Rule 1 Treat all guns as if they are loaded.

Rule 2 Never point the muzzle at anything you are not willing to destroy.

Rule 3 Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.

Rule 4 Be aware of what your target is and lies beyond your target.

You are breaking Rules 1, 2, and 4 if that is a real gun. I know people who have had negligent discharges. A local man recently shot himself in the hand with his own handgun while visiting a local gun store. People who obey these rules will never accidently shoot someone. These rules apply to we people who love guns, compete, and try to grow our sport, too. I am sure you are more competent than the average dude, but the rules apply to you, me, the cop, the hunter, and the people we try to win over to a pro-gun view.

It wouldn't be completely unreasonable for someone to call the police saying a man is running around in his yard swinging a gun around. It is not adequate for you to say, "It isn't loaded."

Hope this didn't come off as a rant. I am a C class revolver shooter and an NRA RSO (for what it is worth). Also, I think you look pretty good.

Sincerely,

Jim

It wouldn't be completely unreasonable for someone to call the police saying a man is running around in his yard swinging a gun around. It is not adequate for you to say, "It isn't loaded."

I occasionally practice in the backyard with my airsoft 2011. Before I ever took my gun outdoors I visited with all my neighbors to let them know what I was doing. If any of them were to express concerns, I would not do it.

No one was concerned and I've not had a single problem.

But then, I live in Texas.

Don't worry about it, it is no big deal. Just don't do something stupid. I had a neighbor stick his hand in his lawn mower while it was running, that's stupid. Some people freak out about DF, stupid people are much more worrisome.

You look like you are going to a gunfight at the O.K. Corral, all hunched up and coiled like a spring, real tense. Relax. You will have to test your uniqueness in LF, on the clock. I would be surprised if you are getting two Alphas at both boxes in LF. You are leaving real early, make sure to call your last shot before leaving the box, looks like alpha/mike to me. Same thing with getting into the box, make sure that you get set up in the box before shooting, work on getting a solid base and not tailing off, or shooting while moving through the box.

Your boxes are a long, long way between each other. Occasionally you will find runs that long, but not often. Bring your boxes closer together. Everything between the second step out of the box and the stutter steps into the next box is just running as hard as you can, you don't need to worry about that much, just run as hard as you can. Move your boxes closer together. The way you are doing it will just make you tired and you will stop your DF session earlier, do more reps. Work on your cardio some other time of the day.

Well, I just feel terrible now. Luckily all my neighbors are fellows Soldiers and are cool with it. I'll have to find a big orange cap to put on the muzzle. :)Thanks Anyway.

Edited by old506

Thanks to you and your colleagues for your service.

You know this already, but it's worth reminding ourselves that game tactics are not combat tactics.

That being said, in addition to the advice above, I might add:

1. Consider a drop step after the last shot to launch yourself towards the next array. A small step in the direction opposite gets your center of gravity leaning the way you need to go, and with the rear leg slightly bent, will allow you to drive off. This is generally faster than just leaning towards the next position while in an upright position.

2. Decelerate a couple steps before hitting the box, stepping in with the foot that will be to the outside when facing the targets, and with your body already facing the array. You will be able to shoot as soon as you lift the rear foot, and will hopefully will have slowed enough so that you dont have continued lateral motion to compensate for as you shoot.

Edited by kevin c

Guess I'll have to relax a little more. At least no one has ever accused me of not being agressive enough.

2. Decelerate a couple steps before hitting the box, stepping in with the foot that will be to the outside when facing the targets, and with your body already facing the array. You will be able to shoot as soon as you lift the rear foot, and will hopefully will have slowed enough so that you dont have continued lateral motion to compensate for as you shoot.

This is the opposite (first foot into the shooting area) of what I read in Steve Anderson's book, but maybe I read it wrong. I'll double check, and try it both ways to see what works best for me.

I've used the drop step and feel it has its place (like after leaning around a barrier or when the last target is a difficult shot. The video showed me practicing an "easy exit" off an easy target where you start you movement as you engage the target.

Old506, "I would be surprised if you are getting two Alphas at both boxes in LF. You are leaving real early, make sure to call your last shot before leaving the box, looks like alpha/mike to me."

All I can say is I saw two Alphas on the latteral exit, but I'm problably pushing unrealistics splits in dry fire since there's not recoil. The entrance to the second box was harder for me and I offen found myself taking a make up shot.

Thanks for the feed back. I'm not sure why the other videos are not showing, but the links work if you copy and paste it. If you could check those out for some feed back I'd be greatful.

• 2 months later...

Hi

Lets break it down.

1) First Video 0:05 you are standing with knees- bent. The start possition should be " relaxed " that means the hands are from sides RELAXED. Some RO's will let you know. about that.

2) By standing with your knees bent you are preparing yourself to movement.

3) after you change position you are engaging the left target while your body is falling to the LEFT. You have to stop completely if you want to have these shots as AA. " the falling" is looking "cool", but it is strongly advised to use it ONLY when you are GAINING point/time ( last target over the baricade) not with dryfire.

4) you have no input where your shots are during DRYFIRE.

get an AIRSOFT or a LASER

First off this is AMERICA and what your neighbors think really doesn't matter. Odds are they are probably Liberals and drive a Prius (I'm in that Army and realize your neighbors are Soldiers, most people aren't that lucky). Secondly if someone is a C class shooter I'm sure they are competent enough to have an unloaded firearm during practice. I shoot the S#!T out of "silhouettes" during commercials while watching TV for my dry fire practice. I'm in Alaska and there is about 10"s of snow in my yard, i'm not as lucky as you are. Any practice is better than NO practice!

Edited by cworks