Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My 1st AR build..

MARKAVELI

Decided to build my first AR. I just received my lower Receiver from Brownells and my local FFL. I like to build it for 3GUN competition, target shooting and if possible home defense. I need a little help deciding what caliber, what parts that are reliable and dependable and what parts I should stay clear from? Gas driven or piston driven? What uppers, barrels to look at ect. Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance. .

For get to add, the Lower is from Areo Precision muli cal. Is it normal if you look towards the back bottom behind the grip of the receiver there looks like a defect in the mold or casting?

post-24363-0-06234900-1379784705_thumb.j

post-24363-0-04177300-1379784757_thumb.j

post-24363-0-43215100-1379784819_thumb.j

Stick with .223/5.56, direct gas. For barrel, grab the 18 inch hybrid contour rifle gas Criterion barrel from Brownell's.

Add a comp of your choice - Miculek, Bennie Cooley, etc.

AIM has complete bolt carrier groups for $100. Might as well grab a flat top upper from them while you are at it, as well as a Daniel Defense 0.750 low profile clamp on gas block.

Then add a 15" handguard of your choice - Samson, MI SS.

Stock is your choice. I run a carbine buffer tube with Magpul ACS-L.

For the part on the back of the lower, grab a grip like an Ergo Suregrip and it will be covered up anyway...

Mick

Edited by MickB

You asked a mouthful! .223/5.56 is the one thing I doubt there will be much debate on for 3 gun. I run an 18" barrel but the winds are changing a bit on the longer barrels. Some of the top shooters are running pinned 14.5 and 16s because they index faster. I have run both Carbine and Mid Length gas system with the corresponding buffers. I really like the mid-length gas and the rifle length buffer with the JP BCG, fire control and buffer. Upper is VLTOR, the handguard is Midwest Industries and the comp is SJC Titan. This combo is very smooth... Here is a link to the upper I am using with a video showing it in action:
http://hawkeyeordnance.com/hawkeye-ordnance-3gun-upper.html

Just some ideas for you - hope they help!

M

While we all want the very best, I'd try to keep it fairly low key...unless you are shooting a ton of matches. You mentioned HD. Combined with the insight above, re: more guys shooting 14.5" and 16" for the quick index, I'd say that's your limit. Good comp, good 1-4, good mount and a stock that works for you and you should be set.

Miculek comp=probably the best priced comp on the market. Not nice and shiny but does the job.

Fail zero, Ds chrome or any nickel boron bcg is nice to have if you can afford it. It's just so much easier to clean.

For home defense, use the shotgun that you are using for 3 gun.

You question may be short, but the answers are incredibly long. ?

Since you would want to keep this as a home defense rifle also, I would stay with a pinned 14.5" or 16" barrel with a muzzle brake. I have the Miculek brake, it isn't pretty as mentioned in an above post, but it works and it is cheap. I think paid $30 for it.

I have a 13" Troy battle rail, where you can add pieces of rail where you want them. I don't recommend a 15" rail on 14.5/16" barrel, your hand can get to close to the muzzle brake.

I wouldn't get a really heavy barrel either, a medium weight match grade 223 Wylde chamber is excellent, with a mid-gas system.

And a collapsible stock of your choice.

Optics? Not sure what to tell you here. But since you want to double it as a home defense, I would recommend an Aimpoint Micro.

Edited by Butterpuc

You asked a mouthful! .223/5.56 is the one thing I doubt there will be much debate on for 3 gun. I run an 18" barrel but the winds are changing a bit on the longer barrels. Some of the top shooters are running pinned 14.5 and 16s because they index faster. I have run both Carbine and Mid Length gas system with the corresponding buffers. I really like the mid-length gas and the rifle length buffer with the JP BCG, fire control and buffer. Upper is VLTOR, the handguard is Midwest Industries and the comp is SJC Titan. This combo is very smooth... Here is a link to the upper I am using with a video showing it in action:

M

I might be asking for a lot....

What is the difference between mid length and rifle length gas tube's?

While we all want the very best, I'd try to keep it fairly low key...unless you are shooting a ton of matches. You mentioned HD. Combined with the insight above, re: more guys shooting 14.5" and 16" for the quick index, I'd say that's your limit. Good comp, good 1-4, good mount and a stock that works for you and you should be set.

I dont plan on being a pro at 3gun and I'd also like to teach my wife and kids. This is our 1st AR for us.. I been reading youtube ing the past few days since... thanks. .

Miculek comp=probably the best priced comp on the market. Not nice and shiny but does the job.

Fail zero, Ds chrome or any nickel boron bcg is nice to have if you can afford it. It's just so much easier to clean.

thanks. . So what are most competitors running their Comp rifle barrel length? Or what is most common. I will use a shotgun for hd..

M

Mid and rifle length is referring to the gas port location on the barrel. Most of the 16" barrels come with the carbine or mid length system and most 18+ utilize mid or rifle length systems. Just get the correct gas tube for the barrel that you purchase. If you get a true low pro gas block, it will fit under most free float hand guards even if the hand guard is made for a longer system. Hope I am not confusing you.

thanks. . So what are most competitors running their Comp rifle barrel length? Or what is most common. I will use a shotgun for hd..

A lot of off the shelf 3 gun rifles come with 18" barrels using a mid or rifle length gas system. I personally have a white oak 18" barrel in 223 wylde with a rifle length gas system and seekins gas block that I would use in 3 gun if the oppurtunity arises. We don't have much 3 gun matches on Maui(2 a year maybe).

That is the barrel twist. The faster the twist the better it does with heavier bullets usually I run 1-9 twist on mine as I shoot mainly 55 grain bullets. If I were using the 70+ grain unwound go to the 1-7 or 1-8 twist.

M

Mid and rifle length is referring to the gas port location on the barrel. Most of the 16" barrels come with the carbine or mid length system and most 18+ utilize mid or rifle length systems. Just get the correct gas tube for the barrel that you purchase. If you get a true low pro gas block, it will fit under most free float hand guards even if the hand guard is made for a longer system. Hope I am not confusing you.

All good answers - I run a 1 in 8 twist because I use hand loads with a minimum 60 grains - usually 70+. I would recommend 1 in 9 if you are going to shoot factory 55 grain ammunition.

As for Carbine vs Mid vs Rifle gas tubes and buffers. My understanding is that with the same barrel length and tube pressure(lets say 16.5") Carbine delivers the most gas the fastest, mid then rifle the least to the bolt carrier group. the less gas at a slower speed = less recoil with the trade off being less energy in the BCG. A Carbine gas system has the benefit of running under most adverse conditions (dirty parts, water, etc.) where the rifle length system may fail to cycle the rifle completely. Buffer systems similarly provide different stroke lengths at different energy levels.

This is a mechanical action and there is always a trade off. My competition rifle, well maintained and with match ammunition, kicks like a 22 and rarely fails to cycle completely. My carbine, on the other hand, will run crappy ammunition, dirty, wet and pissed off but requires more of my energy to tame it for follow up shots and is less forgiving for accuracy all around.

Hope this helps...

Nordic upper, Charging handle, Handguard, barrel, and corvette comp will get you started on an upper.

http://nordiccomp.com/retail/shop/product-category/ar-15-10/

Brownells has LPKs without a trigger so you can add your choice, mine would be the hiperfire 24c (its the flat one).

http://www.hiperfire.com/

For BCGs I have a Rubber City Armory lightweight and I'm loving it.

http://www.rubbercityarmory.com/

And stocks and grips I prefer the ERGO and something fixed like an ACE or MOE.

I got more homework to do.... I do my own reloading and will be reloading for 223/5.56. I am thinking to go with a 18in barrel (not sure the of the manufacturer).I am going with a stripped Areo Precision upper the price is nice so is the finish. What is the difference between a low profile carrier group and a full Carrier?