Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Hard Should Club Level Matches Be?

mjl

If you only have easy stages, the new/beginner shooters will never have an opportunity to grow. No matter how hard you make a stage, a beginner shooter can always take it slow and steady and get it done. That's what I tell anyone starting out who is intimidated by a stage. Go slow. Take 2 minutes to shoot it if you have to. Speed with come with time. I have honestly never seen a shooter stop shooting the sport because stages were too hard.

Now -- we do need to make a differentiation between hard to shoot, and hard to shoot safely. Those are two different things, and the latter has caused me to lose a few shooters. Designing a stage where a new shooter has to run backwards, reload while running towards the direction of their weak hand, transition around objects, etc could cause a newbie to get DQ'd for breaking the 180. If you have a stage that incorporates these things, it's always good to pull the new shooters aside and let them know what to be careful of.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish club level stages were always harder than area matches, I'd go more often. I think no matter how easy or hard a stage is, a new shooter will sometimes get discouraged because the GM always shoots it in a third or less of their required time. It doesn't matter if you put a 6 inch steel at 50 yards, a lot of GMs out there are going to put it down in less than a second while new shooters are missing it consistently at 10 yards.

Now -- we do need to make a differentiation between hard to shoot, and hard to shoot safely. Those are two different things, and the latter has caused me to lose a few shooters. Designing a stage where a new shooter has to run backwards, reload while running towards the direction of their weak hand, transition around objects, etc could cause a newbie to get DQ'd for breaking the 180. If you have a stage that incorporates these things, it's always good to pull the new shooters aside and let them know what to be careful of.

I agree with this.

Edited by Whoops!

The stage designs have to be challenging and as to the aspect of safety, new shooters should understand the importance of "walk throughs" and asking questions.... I still remember getting "finger" word on reloads (Keep that finger out of the trigger guard while reloading) - yeap, broke that bad habit in a hurry.... At our local club on practice nights, we remind all shooters to shoot at their OWN pace and do it SAFELY (period) - speed will come.