Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

As an RO, would you let this guy begin the COF?

justaute

*sighs* Without reading the WSB, I'm assuming it's hands relaxed at sides.

If someone wanted to get really nitnoid about it, they could argue that she's not meeting the standard set in the appendix used to determine what the default (e.g., not written in the WSB) start position is.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the videos posted in this thread, I would not have started the shooter. I just watched the first few seconds of every video of the currently running nationals and I noticed a few things.

Almost every shooter started with relaxed at sides with one exception, guess he did not get the memo. Some of the aforementioned shooters have a fine start position in the current videos. But, there are only a few starts where the hands are to be hung naturally at sides. A LOT of touching a spot, hands holding something, hands behind etc. Much better than last year. Seems the word is getting out and the start positions are getting more varied in order to try and deal with the issue.

I think the lesson is to take this back to the local level and make sure folks are doing it by the rules, consistently.

Equipment position comes into play as well. A person's arm could be out from their body or slightly in front of them when their arms are hanging naturally because the arm is resting on mags or the butt of the gun. Just sayin.

Agreed. I think common sense dictates most forms of deviation such as this. I'd submit many of the examples raised in this thread, and what I have personally witnessed, are not in accordance with the spirit of 8.2.2.

Equipment position comes into play as well. A person's arm could be out from their body or slightly in front of them when their arms are hanging naturally because the arm is resting on mags or the butt of the gun. Just sayin.

If you can naturally touch 3/4 of the way down your thigh, your fingers should be pretty much there when "arms hanging naturally at sides," holster or not. Heck, I'm quite a bit... um... "rounder" than most of you, and my hand hangs past my DOH.

My favourite though, and the OP video seems to allude to this, is when the weak hand seems to creep up around belt buckle area when "relaxed at sides".

Could someone do me a favour and write a WSB of: "Standing in box, hands where you want them, body however you like, tensed up and quivering like a bow string." Might even the playing field a little.

Mac