Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag Tube Block or Dowel for 10 round magazine tube?

jedpeters

I just did this a few days ago to use my M2 dove hunting. I had a bunch of wooden arrows left from my archery days and cut one long enough to only hold 2 shells in the tube. Worked all day without a problem. I shot 90 shells and ended up with 6 dove but my bird hunting skills are not the topic here.

I have a wooden dowel that I use on my FN Herstal with an 8 round tube. That dowel is crazy long though and compressing the spring that much is a little awkward to say the least, as I've had it fly out of the tube on multiple occasions, often trying to squirt out sideways and pop me in the face. It works fine once you figure it out though. I did have to whittle on it a bit but that's no big deal. Just make sure you sand the edges down once you have the size right so you don't get shreds of wood inside your gun.

I'd recommend finding a shorter spring if you're going to swap it around much. Personally I didn't like doing it. Regardless of the awkwardness, I felt like if I ever did meet a game warden that I'd be a target and he'd be skeptical and would try to bust me for something even though I did have it properly blocked. Just kind of felt weird for awhile. Even now I seriously doubt I would go duck hunting at a popular place like that, probably guaranteed harassment even if you are legal.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I have a wooden dowel that I use on my FN Herstal with an 8 round tube. That dowel is crazy long though and compressing the spring that much is a little awkward to say the least, as I've had it fly out of the tube on multiple occasions, often trying to squirt out sideways and pop me in the face. It works fine once you figure it out though. I did have to whittle on it a bit but that's no big deal. Just make sure you sand the edges down once you have the size right so you don't get shreds of wood inside your gun.

I'd recommend finding a shorter spring if you're going to swap it around much. Personally I didn't like doing it. Regardless of the awkwardness, I felt like if I ever did meet a game warden that I'd be a target and he'd be skeptical and would try to bust me for something even though I did have it properly blocked. Just kind of felt weird for awhile. Even now I seriously doubt I would go duck hunting at a popular place like that, probably guaranteed harassment even if you are legal.

Get a dowel that fits INSIDE the spring, 1/2 inch in diameter or so, that will take up the room of all but 2 rounds. The spring will compress down the dowel, not against it...

jj

the dowel I use on my Mossberg 500 is an uncut #2 Pencil but that is taking a 5 to a 2 shot drops in where the barrel screws into.

a length of 3/8" dowel dropped in behind the follower should do the trick just have to figure the length to shorten 2 1/2 shells so you have space to easily load 2 shells but no more than 2 thus 2 21/2 gives you some slack

8 x shell length = cut length remove tube extension drop in dowel replace extension go enjoy the birds B)

Edited by Amerflyer48

Used a long piece of dowel rod to limit my M2 for hunting. Worked fine. I made it the correct length and rounded the flat ends off.

I've also made a shorter plug out of dowel rod for Blue Ridge to limit me to 8 rounds in the tube so that I don't screw up and find myself in Open.

Get a dowel that fits INSIDE the spring, 1/2 inch in diameter or so, that will take up the room of all but 2 rounds. The spring will compress down the dowel, not against it...

jj

Good idea!