Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Junior Alchemist or Darwin Awards Nominee?

mcracco

the really scary part is the answer that you can do it but need a chronometer :surprise:

this is the one of the setbacks I see from the recent influx of new shooters due to recent buying frenzy lack of qualified knowledge and the pervasive "close enough" attitude of todays society in most every other area

close enough is never close enough unless you are tossing an empty ammo box in the trash

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130620135858AAI15LS

Somehow I think the question was asked in all seriousness.

This answer is pretty ironic: "Whatever in the world prompted you to do that? I'd dump it on the ground and touch a match to it if I was you"

On a serious note, what about mixing all of one type of powder to eliminate lot variation. Say I had 4 invididual pounds of Win 231 (of different lots) and a left over 4 pound container and I poured all four of the 1 pound containers into the empty container and mixed it generously?

On a serious note, what about mixing all of one type of powder to eliminate lot variation. Say I had 4 invididual pounds of Win 231 (of different lots) and a left over 4 pound container and I poured all four of the 1 pound containers into the empty container and mixed it generously?

You've just generated a 5th variation! LOL!

RDA, back when I shot NRA Hi Power that was standard practice to "box" the powder to get consistency for your whole season those M-1s are powder hungry compared to pistol calibers So you load your whole season off the same mix less variation in velocity so less fidgeting with sight corrections etc. Plan to do it with my .223 once I settle on a recipe.

Used to do it with Winchester SuperLite in my 10mm still have the can marked "Mixed Lot" with lot numbers and date I think.

Kind of like painting a room if you have 3 gallons you mix them all in a 5 gallon bucket so you don't have variations in your walls,not world ending for your livingroom but a light batch of powder could drop you minor if you run close to Major PF ( ask me how I know )

all you are doing is making your own lot of powder once you work up a load for that lot you just made you are good to go until it runs out, I wouldn't add any to that batch after load development though that's where you would introduce a possible variation.

John

High Country, when I see things like that I think of Inigo Montoya's reference to "Inconceivable"

Edited by Amerflyer48