Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is that 40 rnd mag

chp5

Thanks. Yes, there are a bunch of Sterling 40-round magazines floating around from when they were imported in the '80s. some shooters find they work just fine for them. Me, I had to rebuild mine: it got a Wolff 40-round replacmeent spring, and I fit a new green (no-bind GI) follower. It now works fine in all my guns, where before it was "dodgy" in some.

Magazine management in 3-gun is worth an article in front Sight, and I've already pitched the Editors on it.

The Sterling (England) 40 round magazines are the best 40's to use in your

AR. Unfortunately, they were made for the AR 180 and are very hard to come

by. They are notched on both sides. The AR 15 on one and the 180 on the other.

I found one at a show a few years ago and paid $75 for it. I've seen them go

for $130 and more on various auction sites.

Had to do the same thing to one of my sterling mags as Patrick Sweeney.I payed way to much for them and think you should atleast have one,but seldom do i find using a 40rd better than having to 30rd mags clamped together for a stage.I have also seen Butler with two 40's clamped together.I would love to shoot a stage that needs that.

I bought 2 40 round mags from Cheaper Than Dirt for $12.99 each. I don't remember the brand (Triple K ?) but they have the green followers in them. So far they have worked flawless. I like them so much I ordered 2 more. At that price they are worth a try.

I was looking for a higher (than 30) capacity AR mag for shooting 3 gun with. I found the Sterling mags were hard to get a hold of so I decided to look into the thermold 30/45 round mags. I found that they had a decent rep but would probably need a bit of fine tuning. I found a guy selling a batch of brand new ones and bought two of them for $30 a piece. When I first tried them in my Colt AR they would lock up but the bolt was just contacting the tops of the feed lips causing it to slow down and malfunction. I took a utility knife and started scraping the plastic until it didn't touch the bolt. It didn't take much and now they work fine and you have to look hard to see the scraped areas.

Neal in AZ

I was looking for a higher (than 30) capacity AR mag for shooting 3 gun with. I found the Sterling mags were hard to get a hold of so I decided to look into the thermold 30/45 round mags. I found that they had a decent rep but would probably need a bit of fine tuning. I found a guy selling a batch of brand new ones and bought two of them for $30 a piece. When I first tried them in my Colt AR they would lock up but the bolt was just contacting the tops of the feed lips causing it to slow down and malfunction. I took a utility knife and started scraping the plastic until it didn't touch the bolt. It didn't take much and now they work fine and you have to look hard to see the scraped areas.

Neal in AZ

Is that guy selling anymore of the Thermold 30/45? Thanks.

chp5, I recently bought a Thermold 30/45 as I have had great sucess with their 30 rd mags. I found that with 45 rounds in it, I had coil bind and the mags would barely seat and that I could not strip a round in my Bushmaster lower. With 42 rounds in it, it worked. This was a replacement for my USA Mag which worked for me for 6 years.