Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you determine/MARK the 180?

Poppa Bear

I have shot a few stages where the bay is not square. Usually it is shaped like a V. So how do you determine the 180 and how do you let other shooters know where it is at? This can be problematic if the targets are place parallel to the berms that form the V.

I have seen fault lines placed on the ground with paint or small signs. I have seen caution tape stretched between sticks. But i have always had some sort of a visual reference to mark the official 180 when it does not correspond to the actual berms.

Like you mentioned. Whenever we have to build a bay without clear berm orientation we lay out the shooting area with fault lines depicting the 180. We mention it in the stage briefing as well as shooters meeting. We have one area that literally does not have berms.

Good course design should delineate where the 180 is, e.x. rear fault line, but if it's not clearly marked ask the RO to point out the 180 and mention it to the MD.

We were RO'ing our own squads the last time I shot a V shaped bay. :) Because we were the first squad on the one stage we discussed it and decided what the 180 should be and then marked it ourselves for future squads just to keep it consistent.

I have seen it a few times where the bay had no discernible back berm, or the berm was not consistent with the layout of the stage. AND there was nothing to mark what the designer/builders wanted as a 180. Situations like that make it difficult to keep things consistent when one squad can engage targets from a position that other squads decided was past the 180. On one you could not use the rear fault line because it was angled such that one end pointed out of the bay.

I do my best to build stages where aiming your gun at the face of a scoring target beyond the 180 is not possible In keeping with Rule 2.1.4 that way if there is a question of where the 180 is it is not because you are gaining a advantage shooting from a possition another RO may not think is OK. it doesnt solve the issue for calling a DQ on a shooter that made a mistake but atleast it is not part of gameing the stage.

Mike

2.1.4 Target Locations – When a course is constructed to include target locations
other than immediately downrange, organizers and officials must
protect or restrict surrounding areas to which competitors, officials or
spectators have access. Each competitor must be allowed to solve the
competitive problem in his own way and must not be hindered by being
forced to act in any manner which might cause unsafe action. Targets
must be arranged so that shooting at them on an “as and when visible”
basis will not cause competitors to breach safe angles of fire.

Good course design should delineate where the 180 is, e.x. rear fault line, but if it's not clearly marked ask the RO to point out the 180 and mention it to the MD.

Disagree.

I do my best to build stages where aiming your gun at the face of a scoring target beyond the 180 is not possible In keeping with Rule 2.1.4 that way if there is a question of where the 180 is it is not because you are gaining a advantage shooting from a possition another RO may not think is OK. it doesnt solve the issue for calling a DQ on a shooter that made a mistake but atleast it is not part of gameing the stage.

Mike

2.1.4 Target Locations – When a course is constructed to include target locations

other than immediately downrange, organizers and officials must

protect or restrict surrounding areas to which competitors, officials or

spectators have access. Each competitor must be allowed to solve the

competitive problem in his own way and must not be hindered by being

forced to act in any manner which might cause unsafe action. Targets

must be arranged so that shooting at them on an “as and when visible”

basis will not cause competitors to breach safe angles of fire.

Agree.